1991 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Leaf Spring | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Leaf Spring

91 Explorer Solid Axle Swap

Hello everyone. This is a White 91 Explorer. Solid axle came out of an 89 jeep wrangler. Front leafs are new but from a jeep. The rear lift was made by using high arched "soft ride" leafs, and flipping over the axle. There are not any blocks! The front has 12 inch Fox shocks and resevoirs (though resevoirs are not in pictures, i am getting them installed this week. Iwill get new pictures as soon as that is done.)
The Truck Has 37" Super Swampers SSR's on it right now but i will be putting 38" Tires on it when these wear out.
I still have to measure it next to another but i believe the total suspension lift is about 15 inches plus the tire difference.
The frame is 29" off the ground. Truck runs great and Rides excellent. If you have any questions just ask.
Hopefully I'll see some of you on the trails.
I am in San Diego.
Oh yeah to see the photos just click on my photo gallery under my name. Late!

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, talk about back from the dead! Good to see you're on here again, Tim. Come down to the Truckhaven run in 3 weeks, and bring the wife!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RangerX said:
Wow, talk about back from the dead! Good to see you're on here again, Tim. Come down to the Truckhaven run in 3 weeks, and bring the wife!

Hey, How are you?? Good to hear from ya. Yeah I have been extremely busy with getting married and a little bit of remodeling on the house and the
honey moon. Oh yeah and working on the truck. I will come if I can. There are a couple of things I am trying to work out right now. The major thing is I have to find time to work on my clutch. Something is going on with it right now, I think the hydraulic throwout bearing needs to be rebuilt. I think something happened to it. The other is, I am trying to work out the details to get it smogged. I went to the smog ref and It passed the emmissions test but they failed me from some visual items. Typical Cailifornia visual bull. Anyway most of the things are not to much of a problem but a couple are gonna be a real *****! So I am trying to figure out my options. Anyway, Thanks for the invite and if I can get the clutch fixed I will come. Keep in touch.
-Tim Howard

Hey man nice ride. I am doing my SAS and I was wondering what Jeep springs you were using in the front? I would greatly appriciate it if you could get back to me on this.

Hello,
I didnt handle that part of the swap, so I am not sure what springs are up there exactly. I do know that they are National Soft Ride Springs and they were $210.00 a Piece. If you call National and tell them What you are doing they should be able to recomend something for you.

Thanks alot. I love your X man it is awesome.

That question was answered in the prior post...

Thats ok though , it is a quick answer. The rear leaves are stock springs re-arched a little higher. the front springs are National soft rides.... I am not exactly sure which part number. I plan on getting National Springs for the rear as well. They were about 210 dollars a piece. Hope this helps...
-Tim H.

Yeah, it help, i am having a hard time finding custom mounts for the front (rear) to weld or bolt to the explorer frame,

Yeah, you probably wont find any... The best thing to do is get your springs mount them on the axle, get the whole assembly mocked up under the truck and make your own and weld them in.

Yeah, Do u know a good company that sells good worthy springs mount?

or you could do what i did...used an F250 hanger and mount it right under the cab mount...if it lines up that is...i've seen many guys do this...works well...
F250hangersandshackle.jpg

So on your first post here you said you "flipped over" your rear axle. Did you actually flip it over so the spring pertches were on top? Or did you just mean you did and SOA? I'm about to do a SAS on my 92 XLT and I was planning on buying new spring pertches and welding them on top, I hadn't even thought about flipping over the whole axle. But in theroy it would work. So I was just wondering if that's reall what you meant by that.
Thanks

I hadn't even thought about flipping over the whole axle. But in theroy it would work. So I was just wondering if that's reall what you meant by that.

Then you'd better start learning to drive using your rear view mirror.

Last edited:

Im sorry, if thats what I said I mis-spoke... lol . axle perches were welded to the top of the axle.....Standard SOA....

Back