Great Pumpkin Solid Axle Swap 1993 Ford Explorer XL Rick Horwitz | Page 5 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Great Pumpkin Solid Axle Swap 1993 Ford Explorer XL Rick Horwitz

My solid axle swap went through two phases of construction. The first utilized Trailmaster 4" coil springs and Rancho 9000 shocks. The setup was a 5 link, that is 4 links plus a panhard bar. The coil spring was allowed to fall way from it's upper mount and was kept in line by a piece of tubular steel which also served as a bump stop.

The axle is a Dana 44 High Pinion design from a '79 Bronco. The axle was shortened for this application. I do not have the measurements. All of the fabrication work was done by FST in Phoenix

Here are photos from Phase 1:
dana44_5.jpg

dana44_11.jpg

dana44_crossmem.jpg

dana44_15.jpg

dana44_21.jpg

pumpkin_springdroop.jpg

rickramp2.jpg

Main drawback to this design was the noise and sloppiness that occured when the coil spring fell away from the top mount. Everyone I wheeled with had to get used to the BANG when the coil popped back in place.

5.JPG

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

terk13

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer
I like the 9" rear, Should I use the 44 up front. Like I said they are from a 76 bronco and dont know if they are too short or just right (willing to use small wheel spacers if needed) I only want to run 33's on a 10' wide wheel max maybe 32's on a 8" wheel and dont want to go too high just 3" susp. and cut out wheel wells if I can find fender flares or modify ones from a similar truck it is a 4 door Explorer (any ideas troopers are TOUGH here and even tougher in New England where 3" lift is the most you can use) I want to stay with a coil spring set up and I am on a budget. Any ideas or should I just lift the stock unit and use the TTB with drop down brackets.Thanks for the input.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
well you got alot of option i would use the 9" rear and i would get the 4" leaf sprang from like super lift with that 4" sprang under to sprang over well be like 91/2 " to 10" of lift you then can get 36s under it . if you want to go big. look in threads to see how some of the explorer people did theres sas

Download firefox, enjoy the built in spell checker.

90gsplx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
Ok I have read all about your SAS which is awesome by the way. Now i want to know about the 98 front end. how hard was that.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
You need a 2nd gen the header panel for the grill to attach to. Other than that, a few small brackets need to be made to attach the fenders to the body.

Fordexplorerguy1

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
Rick that is a truly awesome explorer. I wish my 94' were like that.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Thanks!:chug:

Fordexplorerguy1

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
So how much money do you have invested into the great pumpkin?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
So how much money do you have invested into the great pumpkin?

Thats like asking someone's age. It just isn't done :) But, even if it was done, I doubt anyone actually knows "what" they spent throughout the years.

~Mark

Fordexplorerguy1

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
Yeah i agree with that, I have had my ex for like 4 months and i have no clue what i have spent but i know i have spent a lot... XD

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
They make anything custom.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I shot a video today showing the Pumpkin as it sits 23 years after I purchased it brand new :D

The photo below is the oldest photo I have of my Explorer. Unfortunately I never grabbed a shot of it straight off the showroom floor :(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 206

rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
How does your hood latch? Is it just using the hood pins? Or did you keep the latching mechanism as well?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
How does your hood latch? Is it just using the hood pins? Or did you keep the latching mechanism as well?

Yes, just the hood pins.

josh40601

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Mesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger & Explorer
Any updates or changes on this thing?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Any updates or changes on this thing?

The latest update was a vacuum pump for the power brakes which I can kick on if the engine stalls while climbing a steep hill.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...m-pump-xtra-reservoir-for-the-pumpkin.445189/

Other than that, no changes since the Rock Jock 60 went in a few years ago.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...adder-bar-pumpkin-on-the-upgrade-path.343079/

Sadly it only gets out to wheel a couple times a year these days.

josh40601

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Mesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger & Explorer
i seen the 60 in the video and was like, "Oh Damn!" which prompted my asking. lol

When are you coming back out to TH?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
When are you coming back out to TH?

Most likely October for our Fall run. I was just thinking about that. I need to set dates.