1994 Ford Ranger Turn signal dash indicator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Ranger Turn signal dash indicator

ggoldsm590

Reaction score
City, State
Henrico, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2005 XLT
Hi maybe someone might be help me with this. 1994 Ford Ranger the dash turn signal indicators don't flash from time to time, very intermittent ! sometimes it both sometimes it's only the left or right by itself. The outside signals work just fine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to confirm something because it's a branch in troubleshooting, and I don't want to mislead you. Are you saying you have noticed the dash indicators not working, and at that moment, got out of the truck and saw the outside lights were working at that same exact instance? Please confirm this.

Also, please confirm if, when the dash indicators did not flash, if they were solid on or solid off.

See, if the dash indicators and outside lights were failing at the same time, that points to a flasher unit, or multifunction switch. Both are fairly common failures. But, if it is really as I seem to read it, that the outside lights always work and it's truly limited to the dash indicators, then it has to be a connection to, or defect in the gauge cluster.

How intermittent is this, and is there anything notable about when it happens, or what you might do to make it work again?

Understanding it is highly intermittent, can you think of any work done on the truck just before you started seeing this?

Have you ever, even once, encountered this with the emergency flashers rather than the turn signals?

I'm going to be away from computer until Wed morning. If you can confirm and answer these questions, I should be able to get you in the general area of the cause. I'm really hoping you are mistaken, and this ends up being the flasher unit because tracking this on the gauge cluster is going to be a serious job.

I want to confirm something because it's a branch in troubleshooting, and I don't want to mislead you. Are you saying you have noticed the dash indicators not working, and at that moment, got out of the truck and saw the outside lights were working at that same exact instance? Please confirm this.

Also, please confirm if, when the dash indicators did not flash, if they were solid on or solid off.

See, if the dash indicators and outside lights were failing at the same time, that points to a flasher unit, or multifunction switch. Both are fairly common failures. But, if it is really as I seem to read it, that the outside lights always work and it's truly limited to the dash indicators, then it has to be a connection to, or defect in the gauge cluster.

How intermittent is this, and is there anything notable about when it happens, or what you might do to make it work again?

Understanding it is highly intermittent, can you think of any work done on the truck just before you started seeing this?

Have you ever, even once, encountered this with the emergency flashers rather than the turn signals?

I'm going to be away from computer until Wed morning. If you can confirm and answer these questions, I should be able to get you in the general area of the cause. I'm really hoping you are mistaken, and this ends up being the flasher unit because tracking this on the gauge cluster is going to be a serious job.

Correct , It' s only an issue with the dash indicators and the outside lights work properly. The dash indicators don't come on " off " at all when the problem occurs. This started maybe 1 year ago and like I say it very intermittent. The only work done was I removed the instrument panel 2 years ago to replace burned out bulbs. Every thing worked just fine until about 1 year ago.

When the issue occurs I did check the emergency flashers work outside but the dash indicators are off. Someone suggested it could be a bad ground to the instrument panel ?
Gary

Yeah, I'm starting to think that way too. But, to be clear, when the turn signals fail, do the dash indicators stay solid on or solid off? I don't quite understand that part of your reply. Things start to make sense if they do not light up when this happens. If they stay solid on, that's just weird and I'd have to think of what kind of crossed circuit could do that.

Assuming they do not light up, like the e-flashers - If I recall, the back of the gauge cluster is just one big flex circuit, it even serves as the connection point to the cables. I think what I would do... well, if it were really rare, I might live with it. But if I wanted to chase this down, I would start pulling the gauge cluster and before I got to the cables, I would see if they are already in and tight. I wonder if, back then, you might have gotten one of them not quite seated and it is going intermittent with vibration. Then, I would take the cluster all the way out, get it to a well lit bench, and see if I can find a common trace for the ground of the two turn indicators. Inspect it carefully for cracks, corrosion, etc...

I don't think it's the ground to the cluster because your other stuff apparently still works. But... the ground for the turn signals is also the ground for the hi-beam indicator and the gauge cluster illumination. It is a solid black wire going to the cluster. There are two other grounds, Black with white stripe and black with yellow stripe. Both are just for the tachometer.

The ultimate ground point for all of this, where it connects to the chassis is in the driver's left kick panel area.

If the indicators stay solid on while the outside lights flash, there's a short somewhere, and intermittent shorts are just a pain, hoping this is not the case.

By the way, I am giving you info for a '94 Explorer because it's the book I have. The color codes might possibly be different on a Ranger... I doubt it but just saying.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that way too. But, to be clear, when the turn signals fail, do the dash indicators stay solid on or solid off? I don't quite understand that part of your reply. Things start to make sense if they do not light up when this happens. If they stay solid on, that's just weird and I'd have to think of what kind of crossed circuit could do that.

Assuming they do not light up, like the e-flashers - If I recall, the back of the gauge cluster is just one big flex circuit, it even serves as the connection point to the cables. I think what I would do... well, if it were really rare, I might live with it. But if I wanted to chase this down, I would start pulling the gauge cluster and before I got to the cables, I would see if they are already in and tight. I wonder if, back then, you might have gotten one of them not quite seated and it is going intermittent with vibration. Then, I would take the cluster all the way out, get it to a well lit bench, and see if I can find a common trace for the ground of the two turn indicators. Inspect it carefully for cracks, corrosion, etc...

I don't think it's the ground to the cluster because your other stuff apparently still works. But... the ground for the turn signals is also the ground for the hi-beam indicator and the gauge cluster illumination. It is a solid black wire going to the cluster. There are two other grounds, Black with white stripe and black with yellow stripe. Both are just for the tachometer.

The ultimate ground point for all of this, where it connects to the chassis is in the driver's left kick panel area.

If the indicators stay solid on while the outside lights flash, there's a short somewhere, and intermittent shorts are just a pain, hoping this is not the case.

By the way, I am giving you info for a '94 Explorer because it's the book I have. The color codes might possibly be different on a Ranger... I doubt it but just saying.

There solid off! I can live with it but should I call someplace to see if they have to work for state inspection?

Well, seeing your in VA from your profile, I searched on that and the answer appears to be yes... though I could not find that in clear language in their document. I guess another thought would be this: What if anything causes this to happen? Does it tend to happen after driving for a long while, after going over a bump, etc... and what if anything do you do that might fix it, such as restarting the engine or passage of time).

I get that you don't want to pull the gauge cluster, it's a pain, to be sure. If I can be of any further help, let me know!

Thanks I might just pull the cluster and check true backside I’ll let you know

I usually punch the instrument panel when stuff doesn't work. Makes me feel better and half the time it works! :laugh:

My voltmeter gauge sometimes gets stuck in the far left position so the needle is pointing toward the air vent. Hitting the instrument panel a couple of times knocks it free. It also helps with the illumination on the panel. Those light base contacts don't always work well and you have to "reseat" them.:hammer:

You may just have a loose contact for the turn signal bulbs. Fortunately you don't have to pull the whole instrument panel to check them, just the dash panel.

A trick I learned from a friend on how to remove the instrument panel fairly easily if you need to: once the dash panel is removed, remove the clear leans from the instrument panel and pull the gauges off. The just pop into place on the instrument panel. When you get to the speedometer, release it and pull it forward a bit (you may have to undo the cable from the holder under the truck to get enough slack. Its right next to the fuel filter) and push in the cable clip to free the cable and then remove the speedometer. Then you can removed the panel and detach the wiring harness without dealing with the cable.

I usually punch the instrument panel when stuff doesn't work. Makes me feel better and half the time it works! :laugh:

My voltmeter gauge sometimes gets stuck in the far left position so the needle is pointing toward the air vent. Hitting the instrument panel a couple of times knocks it free. It also helps with the illumination on the panel. Those light base contacts don't always work well and you have to "reseat" them.:hammer:

You may just have a loose contact for the turn signal bulbs. Fortunately you don't have to pull the whole instrument panel to check them, just the dash panel.

A trick I learned from a friend on how to remove the instrument panel fairly easily if you need to: once the dash panel is removed, remove the clear leans from the instrument panel and pull the gauges off. The just pop into place on the instrument panel. When you get to the speedometer, release it and pull it forward a bit (you may have to undo the cable from the holder under the truck to get enough slack. Its right next to the fuel filter) and push in the cable clip to free the cable and then remove the speedometer. Then you can removed the panel and detach the wiring harness without dealing with the cable.

Thanks you

Back