1998 Ford Explorer engine swap help needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer engine swap help needed.

Cliffford

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
My Explorer currently has a dead V6 SOHC and it's VIN E with an automatic 5spd trans. I don't know which of the available transmissions it is though. My intent is to swap for a 5.0 from another Explorer of the same year. my question is, does anyone know if they had a universal eng/trans bolt pattern or was that the reason for two different automatic transmissions? Well that and the obviously higher torque and horsepower V8? I have been told the engine will be a direct swap into the engine compartment mounting and all, assuming i obtain the engine wiring harness and ecu. but as far as mating to the trans I have almost no information.

if you are going to do a 5L swap, you wont be able to use the trans from the 4L. the bolt patten is different

What are the odds I can simply use the bell housing from the 5.0 I've found? Will it mate my trans to the new engine and will the ECU not work with my trans? Should I go ahead and obtain the trans from the same vehicle?

If you used the same trans from the donor truck, it would make things less complicated. As for bolt patterns you will want to do a search on that one

Back