1998 4.0 V6 OHV 5speed to 1998 4.0 V6 SOHC auto swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4.0 V6 OHV 5speed to 1998 4.0 V6 SOHC auto swap

afast19

Reaction score
City, State
Gaston, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I’m curious what would be needed if I swapped my 5speed OHV engine to an auto SOHC engine. Do the bell housings in the manual OHV and auto SOHC match? I cant find anything online.

-I drive a 1998 Explorer V6 4.0L OHV 4x4 (cologne)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure, but you’d be trading arguably the most reliable 2nd Gen drivetrain for the least.

so you want to put a sohc 4.0 in front of your 5 speed?
It can be done as the 4.0 ohv and sohc are the same block and bellhousing (for the most part)
However i would NEVER install a 1998 sohc engine into anything.
the SOHC was built 1997-2014 the 97 and 98 versions are weak sauce compared to later years. If you do this conversion you would want to get a late4r model sohc engine, by 2004 or so they were very tough

this is a very involved swap, going from ohv to sohc can be done several different ways including keeping your ohv computer and modding the engine wiring, or youc an swap over to a complete sohc computer and wiring harness, you would want to find a 5 speed sohc. To do this using an auto computer you would then need a tune

the sohc engine can be made to bolt up you can even use your ohv flywheel and clutch setup
Most of us here would prefer to keep the pushrod 4.0 as they are basically half million mile engines in the right hands

If you are going to do an engine swap, the 302 was a factory option and is a better choice for reliability.

If you are going to do an engine swap, the 302 was a factory option and is a better choice for reliability.
True, however that requires pcm, wiring and driveline swap also. I think the op would like just to change engines.
Original question:
Definitely no. Get another ohv, or, the above V8 swap.

Ah my bad, I misread your post.

I thought you wanted to go OHV 5spd to SOHC auto 😂🤣

I still wouldn’t swap in a SOHC. A little more power, less reliability, whole lotta work.

Back