2 way alarm/remote starter install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 way alarm/remote starter install

evoq007

Reaction score
City, State
Boxford, MA(Home); Rochester, NY(School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hey guys i got a 2 way LCD remote starter/ alarm system for xmas. I realized i am not going to have enought time to install this myself before i go back to college. What is the going rate to get something like this installed at a shop. Its the complete system with hood sensor, glass/shock sensor, temp sensor for inside the cab yadda yadda. how long and how much do you think it would be to get this installed. Thanks

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand? You're looking at $200+ for the install.

Never having installed an alarm before I installed a 2-way with remote starter in under 4 hours. It's really not bad at all.

Its the Autopage 855 LCD. Really it only took you four hours?

Yeah, but you have a second gen so you've gotta bypass PATS. You can download a wiring diagram from www.bulldogsecurity.com It should have all that you need.

didnt only 98+ have the pats system, cuz my key doesnt have a chip in it or anything.

I guess so.. thought all second gens had it though.

hmm well i guess i will try it myself and see how it goes. Thanks man

Scott

do a search...i heard somewhere on this thread that if you buy it directly from the shop that installs it, it's cheaper. maybe return the one you have, and buy the same one from a shop that will install it. just my 2cents.

It is cheaper, but then you'd be paying retail.

most shops want 500-600 bucks for a 2way stayle alarm/remote start. i got mine off the net brand new for 160 bucks. So you can see why i dont wanna go to a shop to buy one

I also got a 2way for christmas and want to install it my self, but i dont think i have the knowledge.

First.. What is PATS?

Second...Dont you have to tap into some relays?

I was reading the writeup for the alarm install and he had his relays mounted to the metal backing.. were those relays already existing or did he have to buy them and put them in?or do i just tap into the wires in the harnesses in the kick panel because they are already relayed? heres the write up link. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96635&highlight=alarm+install+writeup

Thanks, and sorry for jumping in on your thread, i just thought that it would be pointless to start another one on basically the same topic.

Ok, i just downloaded a program for the wiring from the manufacturers website, and this is what it says:
Function Color Polarity Location
12v constant Yellow + Ignition Harness
Starter 1 Red/Lt Blue + Ignition Harness
Starter 2
Ignition 1 Lt Green/Purple + Ignition Harness
Ignition 2
Accessory 1 Gray/Yellow + Ignition Harness
Accessory 2
Tach Blue/Red AC See Notes(2)
Brake Switch Lt. Green + At switch above Brake Pedal
Parking Lights White/Black or Brown + Drivers kick panel
Lock Pink Yellow - Drivers Kick Panel
Unlock Pink Green - Drivers Kick Panel
Factory Arm
Factory Disarm Dk. Green/Purple - Drivers Kick Panel
Trunk Release Manual Release
Door Trigger Black/Blue + at Courtesy light under Dash
Trunk Pin common with doors
Hood Pin
Hand Brake
V.S.S
Injector AC
Glow Plug

OEM Anti-theft: Yes Type:pATS

notes:

(1) There are 2 wires of this color but they are both common.
(2) The tach wire is BLUE/RED on the 8 cylinder model and TAN/WHITE on the 6 cylinder model (Program for 2 Cylinders).
(3)The harness for the PCM can be accessed on the Passenger side of the firewall under the hood. The VSS wire is located at pin 58 of the 104 pin connector.

So does this mean that i dont have to tap into any relays? like the reverse polarity thing.? or any relays for that matter? just tap into these wires and im done? please help!thanks

instead of getting an alarm bypass module for the remote start, could i just take the factory alarm out?

Why would you do that? Make your life twice as hard.

Just by taking out the brain? how would it make my life harder? then i wouldnt need a bypass or disarm it.

You'd have to get a digram of where all those wires go and connect them to your new unit.

i just put in my remote starter right before new years, i can let you know where everything is at

hit me up on AIM

Back