• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ranger Overdrive issues

Ronnz

Reaction score
City, State
Lacey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Ranger xlt
2000 Ranger, truck runs great, but sometimes while on rough roads it will automatically go out of OD, I have to shut the engine off then it will go back into OD...also, it will sometimes just go out of OD while driving and I cannot go back into OD, no matter how many time I press the button on the shifter....help :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ronnz, welcome to the forum. When you have the problem does the OD off light come on or flash?.

Ronnz, welcome to the forum. When you have the problem does the OD off light come on or flash?.
Thank you for replying and the light just stays on but pushing the button on the shifter does nothing I have to shut the truck off and turn it back on before it goes back into overdrive

You may simply have a broken/almost broken wire in your shifter arm, a pretty common issue with these trucks

You can remove the knee guard and access the two wires that go to the OD on/off button With access to these wires you can test the continuity and see if the button is working 100% of the time or my guess only intermittent. I have taken the button apart before to fix it, it is also easy enough to replace the arm

there is a single wire that goes from the computer to the OD button, the computer controls the light on the dash and the actual OD function of the transmission
Most problems we see are with those two little wires right where they come out of the shifter arm and extend down past the steering column, for some reason these were installed without alot of slack and can develop breaks over time.

Thank you I will check that out and see what I can come up with have a great day ✌️

You may simply have a broken/almost broken wire in your shifter arm, a pretty common issue with these trucks

You can remove the knee guard and access the two wires that go to the OD on/off button With access to these wires you can test the continuity and see if the button is working 100% of the time or my guess only intermittent. I have taken the button apart before to fix it, it is also easy enough to replace the arm

there is a single wire that goes from the computer to the OD button, the computer controls the light on the dash and the actual OD function of the transmission
Most problems we see are with those two little wires right where they come out of the shifter arm and extend down past the steering column, for some reason these were installed without alot of slack and can develop breaks over time.
Hey, I'm installung my steering column back in the truck, where exactly does that O/D connector plug in?

you cant miss it, tiny little grey or black plug with two wires in it, usually under the steering column.

I did a V8 swap into my sport, pulled the dash harness to run some different components, and now I cant find the connector. Ive got the one from the button, but cant find one on the harness. Theres a single wire connector in that area, but I guess I'll keep looking for the two pin. Thanks.

it is in there!! Its tiny.......

Back