2001 Sport Trac Trans Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac Trans Problem

mwjett

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
Would anyone know how to correct or what would be causing my transmission to be showing it is in drive but really be in neutral? Actually it appears that the indicator on the instrument panel has shifted over and all of the gears are one off from what they should be. Is this a problem with the linkage or is it something worse? Can this be easily corrected?

Vehicle Info: 2001 Explorer Sport Trac w/4 wheel drive.

Thanks in advance!

Matt Jett

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you still have this issue PM me, I know the cause.

old post resurrected.

anyways, the indicator needle is controlled by a string (connected from the shifter column to needle) and a spring to return it to park. The string is probably binding or the spring is weak.

old post resurrected.

anyways, the indicator needle is controlled by a string (connected from the shifter column to needle) and a spring to return it to park. The string is probably binding or the spring is weak.

Sorry, Didn't know there was a time limit on trying to help someone who NO ONE else attempted to.

The problem is the white plastic bracket that holds the adjuster wheel in position under the dash is broken. The cable cannot stretch, and believe me the spring is either working or broken. I've taken it apart, I know how much force is on it. It also defaults to the right side when unhooked from the shifter, meaning the needle will shoot all the way down past the 1 position.

Sorry, Didn't know there was a time limit on trying to help someone who NO ONE else attempted to.

The problem is the white plastic bracket that holds the adjuster wheel in position under the dash is broken. The cable cannot stretch, and believe me the spring is either working or broken. I've taken it apart, I know how much force is on it. It also defaults to the right side when unhooked from the shifter, meaning the needle will shoot all the way down past the 1 position.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Better to share your knowledge in public than on a PM. :salute:

lol'd
no there wasn't a time limit, sorry to suggest there was.

It's nice that you shared some knowledge, instead of letting my guesses stand as an answer.

the original poster probably registered on the site, asked a question, never got an answer in the first 5 minutes, and probably has never came back.

Had the exact same thing happen to mine.If you lay on your back and look up under the dash, you'll see where the shifter cable goes into the cluster and there is 2 torq head bolts holding it on.On mine the 2 bolts were backed way out and the indicator was way off.Tightened up the 2 torq bolts and every thing is fine.The shifter even tightened up too.Hope this helps.

Back