2002 XLT 200K+ miles, still worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT 200K+ miles, still worth it?

aroot

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
So I may be in possession of a Black 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4DR, it has 200K+ miles on it, mainly freeway driven between San Diego & Orange County, free from a family member, just need to pay insurance and registration.

So my question is, is it worth making it look cool, like a prerunner? or will I end up spending a bunch of money on lights, grill, tires, wheels, fiberglass, etc. just to have it break down in a month?

What would you do with a free high mileage Ford Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Honestly, id sell it.

After reading alot on here, ive noticed that the 2002's were problem child's, being the first year of the new bodystyle/engine/etc.

And with 200k miles, nothing good is gonna happen...
I would try to sell it for a decent ammount, and invest in a 03 or 04, and mod it, but then again, its free, so its really up to you.

Thats just my $.02

EDIT: Actually, id look around for a 98/99/00, and make it into a prerunner! Those look sick, plus it seems like theres alot more of these lifted/lowered etc, so plenty of people who could help you out on what todo...

I'd say since it's free go for it. Does it have the 4.0 or 4.6, both are decent engines. Really 200k isn't that much for the 4.0. 2002s had there problems but since it has 200k+ on it hopefully those problems have been taken care of and you won't have to mess with them at least for a long time. Plus with this forum you can take care of any problems that pop up.

I'm not sure on the engine but I was thinking if it made it 200k with a single owner it must be one of the good 2002's. I wonder what parts start to break down at 200k.

Um it's a free truck... be grateful and drive it, IMO.

I wouldn't do any expensive mods... given that things COULD start breaking, but for sure.. be happy to be in the position to receive a free truck.

Its free, take it. And insuring the truck would be cheap. Go for it, I would. If its lasted this long, there is no reasons why it wouldn't go longer.

Those guys made a good point, if it has 200k then most of the problems are probably worked out, go for it man, but I would stay away from heavy modding for a while lol

I'm for sure taking it, I was just wonder what others thought about modifying a high mileage 2002. Sounds like I shouldn't waste any extra money on it. thanks for the advice.

Get it, drive it some, see what kind of condition it's in and what it needs done to it. If not a lot it might be worth modding it.

Well I have 1 mod in mind, adding an ipod input, got one left over from my last lease

Back