Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2004 4.0L Cold start issues

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by JCark01, January 5, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. JCark01

JCark01 New Member

City, State:
    Schenectady
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Ford Explorer
    When it's below below freezing outside my explorer has trouble starting and initial rough idle. When I scan for trouble codes I get P0302 which is a misfire on cylinder 2 and a P0316 which is engine misfire detected on startup. Once it's been running for about 30 seconds to a minute the rough idle goes away and everything works fine. My mechanic compression tested each cylinder and it came back above 150 PSI for each cylinder. I checked the IAT and ECT sensors live data (with torque OBD-II app)and they seem to be working properly. Any ideas what would cause this? I already did new plugs, wires and a coil pack. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Let me know if you need for info.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. JCark01

JCark01 New Member

City, State:
    Schenectady
    2004 Ford Explorer
    Can anyone help?

4. plasticseng

plasticseng Active Member

City, State:
    Central NC
    2002 XLS
    Fuel injector leaking or sticking?

5. ronixd

ronixd New Member

2003 Explorer xlt
    My explorer is doing the same exact thing! I have a p0306 and a p0316.
    new dorman intake manifold, new motorcraft plugs, new cop boots.
    I have moved the cops and fuel injectors around but the misfire stays in cylinder 6.
    Compression for 1-4 is 190psi, 5-8 170psi. I hooked up a vacuum gauge to the brake booster vacuum line, upon cold start up gauge starts at 180inhg then immedietely drops to 140inhg for around 4-6 seconds then climbs back to 180inhg and steadily stays there as it should. this only happens during a cold start or after the engine being off for around 30 min. I could post a video of the vacuum gauge but I don't know how.