2004 Explorer Rear Defroster..Need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Rear Defroster..Need help

e23nk1

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Hi everyone,
My rear defroster on my 04 Explorer does not work.
The button does light and I do hear a click when I turn it on and off.
Could this be a fuse problem?...Is there something else on that circuit that I would be able to check so I know it is the fuse?...(the rear wiper does work).
I have checked the coils along the window and all seem to be intact...also I checked the connection at the upper left of rear window and all wires seem to look fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the wires between the top left corner of the glass and the lift gate. If you open the rear window portion of the lift gate and look to the upper left you will see a plastic wire mold about 8 inches long. Mine had broke in that section inside the wire mold. I open back window a lot and over time, the wire bending back and forth broke into. This also fixed my rear wiper and washer fluid problem I had.

Hi everyone,
My rear defroster on my 04 Explorer does not work.
The button does light and I do hear a click when I turn it on and off.
Could this be a fuse problem?...Is there something else on that circuit that I would be able to check so I know it is the fuse?...(the rear wiper does work).
I have checked the coils along the window and all seem to be intact...also I checked the connection at the upper left of rear window and all wires seem to look fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance for the help.

hey e23nk1,
Same thing with mine... from rochester. I took off rear pannel and that little connector on drivers side bottom was broke. Assuming that was the problem (I was actually in east amherst when I noticed it)- took it to west herr ford and they said its $20 for the glue but i couldnt connect it for a day and they couldnt get me in till the next day. Drove back to Penfield and called Van Bortel where they "fixed" it that afternoon... still not working. It lights up and clicks like yours and all the coils are intact (expecially cause the tailgate is a year old from me driving out of the garage with it still up... f*cking idiot). Havent a clue what it could be. My friend tested all the coils and said they were working- but I know that when i put it on it doesnt work! SNOW DOESNT MELT!

I have the same issue with my explorer the defrost light stays on forever but never goes off unless I shut it off anyone know how to fix this????

broken wire once again... this time both wires... rater annoying... next time i'll rewire these two..

Back