2005 Explorer 211xxx Miles. left and right low beams wont turn on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer 211xxx Miles. left and right low beams wont turn on.

martin_95037

Reaction score
City, State
Morgan Hill, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB 4.6 V8
my low beams won't work, all other lights work. I checked the fuses, the fuses are fine. I replaced the fuses anyways with some fuses that I have. still won't work. I highly doubt that both bulbs blew out at the same time. dad thinks that it may be the switch and I agree with him. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have to replace a wheel bearing soon.

I passed my written class B commercial test.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The low beam and high beam have separate bulbs so it could very well be that both your low beam bulbs went out at same time. They arent very expensive and I would try replacing the low beams first. Rock Auto shows the low beam bulbs are about $3-5 each and my local Walmart shows Phillips brand for $9 each. I like Rock Auto for bulbs and small items like that and even after shipping you can save $$.

easy way to check bulbs is grab a multi meter and check for continuity across the terminals. Thats free.

Also check fuses 22 and 16 under the hood. Looks like 22 provides the main power for both...

Press the red panic button on your remote, I believe the headlights flash on these vehicles with it and in a way that bypasses the switch. (can't confirm at this hour for obvious reasons, lol)

2psoo6u.jpg

Before getting into all that mess I would definitely check and be sure both bulbs didn't happen to burn out at the same time, which can happen when they are old and weak and you hit a hard bump.

I recommend Philips VisionPlus 9006 or upgrading to Philips HIR 9012. (RECOMMENDED 3RD GEN FORD EXPLORER CONSUMABLE PARTS) The 9012's are well worth the upgrade (How to Modify HIR bulb bases) but you must buy them off ebay (2 BULBS PHILIPS 9012LL/HIR2 LL 12V 55W STOCK COLOR COMPATIBLE HEAD LIGHT | eBay) as they cost $25 each at AZ/OR etc...

This happened to mine and it was the high beam switch on the colum. Take out the relay for the high beams and if your low beams come on, its the switch.

Back