2013 Explorer, spring binding up on drivers side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer, spring binding up on drivers side

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
hey guys, i haven't posted in a while, but here it goes. We have a 2013 Explorer XLT with around 72k on it. Got it with less than 60k and its been awesome. Had to fix some things from the previous owner, but its expected with anything used and quite honestly we rarely buy used. My uncle is a dealer and we found this one for an excellent price so we bought it.

Had sway bar end link issues so we replaced those only to have them break again...turned out the first shop that did it used a really cheap set. Took too my trusted guys and we replaced all 4 shocks and struts with he springs...on the driver side the spring kept binding when turning so we assumed a defective part since it occurred within minutes of installation. Sent it back and got the new one it, it was fine for maybe 2 days then the same issue. The spring binds only on the driver side. Alignment is in spec, we removed the end links to see if that had any effect on it and all it did was make a tapping noise we were hearing go away. But the binding is still there. I myself am a pretty skilled mechanic, putting all of our heads together we can't figure out what the issue is.

As far as I know and through our research, we can't find any evidence recorded anywhere of an accident or front end damage on the vehicle. However it seems as though something is a little off up front. Before I take it to the body shop to have the frame checked i wanted to see if anyone had any similar issue before.

Thank you in advance to anyone who may have experienced the same or similar and chimes in. Definitely have done research and see similar things, but unfortunately most of those who got a fix of some sort can only respond with "i took it to the shop and it was fixed". No details about what was up. We're going to keep playing around with the truck and if we figure it out I will post in detail what fixed it.

Back