2016 Explorer 2.3L EcoBoost 4WD real world MPG? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer 2.3L EcoBoost 4WD real world MPG?

bow45

Reaction score
City, State
Bolingbrook, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
If you drive a 2016 Explorer 4WD with 2.3L EcoBoost engine, please post the fuel efficiency you've observed.

Thank you in advance. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you drive a 2016 Explorer 4WD with 2.3L EcoBoost engine, please post the fuel efficiency you've observed.

Thank you in advance. :salute:

It was discussed a bit already and actual numbers are not inspiring at all! It is much worse! It is too much of load on 2.3l EB to work optimally, vehicle is heavy and 2.7l EB could've served it better.

Give it a few thousand miles(km) before you really pay attention. Takes a few thousand before things loosen up.

The ONLY way a turbocharged engine produces fuel mileage is when it's not producing boost. So I'm sure the 2.3l gets great mileage as long as it's rolling down hill. A tiny engine like this "not" making boost pulling 5,000 lbs on the flat is highly unlikely.

Put 200 miles on a 2.3L a week or so ago--got about 24 MPG mixed, 26 MPG highway run.

Put 200 miles on a 2.3L a week or so ago--got about 24 MPG mixed, 26 MPG highway run.
Keep in mind a Taurus is a bit more aerodynamic than an Explorer shaped like a 'Brick'. :D

Peter

Keep in mind a Taurus is a bit more aerodynamic than an Explorer shaped like a 'Brick'. :D

Peter

You're right.

The Taurus would be good for 27-30. ;)

Believe it or not, my original post was for a 2016 2.3L Limited Explorer... that was babying it too, to be fair.

I rarely have that good of luck with EcoBoosts. I have a hard time getting the 36 MPG promised on our Fusion, but it was more consistent/easier to get near the Explorer's promised ratings.

16 xlt, 2.3 with 13000 miles. 26 hwy, 18 city

Average over 80k is 23.7. Otherwise if you are considering cost of ownership and in possibly needing to buy a transmission at 80k miles. That was 5000 dollars. We we were still 2/32 from the treadwear indicator on the original tires. Ford did nothing to help. Look at the total cost

Back