2.3L EcoBoost or NA 3.5L? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3L EcoBoost or NA 3.5L?

shanqx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 focus
Greetings folks!

I'm getting a 2016 Explorer XLT. It will mainly be used within city, Toronto, Canada, where is cold and congested.

We'd prefer the 4WD over FWD due to the heavy snow in my area, but we're still having hard time to decide between 2.3L EcoBoost and the 3.5L.

We're leaning towards to the EcoBoost which is supposed to be more fuel efficient, however, we've heard that it requires more attention when driving and frequent maintenance, not to mention the high grade gas (which I don't mind). other then that, I have another concern if the EcoBoost perform well in cold environment.

any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have always been a fan of the 2.3 engine ,the older version, it can take a lot of abuse and keep on going. But for some reason i can't convince myself that it is up to powering an explorer. Think i will stop by the ford dealer and check it out.

2016 Explorer 2.3L EcoBoost or NA 3.5L?

Greetings folks!

I'm getting a 2016 Explorer XLT. It will mainly be used within city, Toronto, Canada, where is cold and congested.

We'd prefer the 4WD over FWD due to the heavy snow in my area, but we're still having hard time to decide between 2.3L EcoBoost and the 3.5L.

We're leaning towards to the EcoBoost which is supposed to be more fuel efficient, however, we've heard that it requires more attention when driving and frequent maintenance, not to mention the high grade gas (which I don't mind). other then that, I have another concern if the EcoBoost perform well in cold environment.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Charlie

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I just realized that I posted in the wrong section of the forum... It's been moved to the right one.

I would just go NA V6 and avoid the extra cost and heat from a Turbo.

Wouldn't buy the 2.3 first year, based on poor experience with the 2.0. (Others, not mine)

Well, we just bought a 2015 3.5L NA V6 about a month ago and it does a great job hauling the Explorer around town. I've only got about 500 miles on it and haven't taken it in the mountains yet, so I can't tell you how well it does climbing grades (it should be fine with 290HP though). I went for the NA V6 to avoid any issues with turbos and other more "high tech" things that might require more maintenance or be more complex. But I'm sure other owners will be able to comment on the reliability of the turbo engine. As far as driving in the cold weather, I can't help you much there seeing that it is about 105 here today. ;)

The Dealer did not encourage me to go with the turbo when got my Explorer. I didn't asked why. I'm around Toronto too.

We got the 3.5 NA. I'm happy with the way it revs. I plan on racking up the miles (km) and just couldn't convince myself that the 2.3L displacement could move a 4500lbs vehicle without long term issues. Not to mention Ford's decision to only install 2000lbs tow package on the 2.3L version, while putting a 5000lbs tow hitch on the 3.5L.

Just my opinion though. I'm sure lots of turbo owners out there would never go back to NA.

We opted for the 2.3L and we love it. Our 2006 Explorer had the V8 and going to the 4 cylinder was a bit scary, but very happy we did.

No need to fear these turbos guys.... Ford's been doing them in production cars since the early 1980's and these Ecoboost engines are great.

That's said, general consensus was the 2.0 turbo was just too small an engine for our cars.

The Sport 3.5 turbo engines are monsters, with a few bolt on's the cars run side by side and often best new 5.0 Mustangs, SRT8 Challengers and Cameros at the track.... While totally keeping their drivability and improving their mileage.

The jury is out on the new 2.3's until we hear from enough new 2.3 owners.

Ajar

I think I will test a 2.3 to see after owning a 3.5 N/A as we might look to update the Explorer

For long term reliability, I suggest the NA motor also.
Considering I didn't have a choice with the Sport, the 3.5 TT motor is perfectly fine with me :).

In terms of the turbo handling our winter season, shouldn't be a concern; as there are plenty of FI vehicles on the road handling our temperatures just fine.

NA is tried and true. Very solid engine. I'd go with that as opposed to a new engine, but engines have not been where Ford has had issues, so you are probably not rolling the dice too much on the 2.3.

Well, we just bought a 2015 3.5L NA V6 about a month ago and it does a great job hauling the Explorer around town. I've only got about 500 miles on it and haven't taken it in the mountains yet, so I can't tell you how well it does climbing grades (it should be fine with 290HP though). I went for the NA V6 to avoid any issues with turbos and other more "high tech" things that might require more maintenance or be more complex. But I'm sure other owners will be able to comment on the reliability of the turbo engine. As far as driving in the cold weather, I can't help you much there seeing that it is about 105 here today. ;)

You do realize the NA v6 will lose power as you climb grades, especially the 8000 ft plus mountain near you. the force induction will produce the same hp in mountains as in the plains. On the other hand I have taken my NA v6 with the family of 4, the dog and weekend worth of food and clothes towing our 3000 lbs camper up some grades with no effort.

We love in Salt Lake City and ski all winter. Almost every day we drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon, elevation 8200 feet, I do not notice any difference in performance from the NA 3.5 liter. We just drove 1500 miles in Southern Utah visiting four National Parks and going through numerous 7500 foot + passes on I 70 with the speed limit 80. Other than the transmission down shifting to hold the speed the 3.5 liter had no issues at all, more than enough power. We were not towing but honestly I dont think it would have made a difference.

Which transmissions are put in those NA 3.5's versus the 2.3 ecoboost? If they are different then the better choice would be the stronger trans. In a heavy vehicle a less strong trans will fail much sooner or more often, especially with any extra stress, like towing or loads, or hills.

The first Explorers came with a redesigned 4 cylinder trans, the A4LD. Most people know how weak that is given any hard usage etc. The first V8 got the almost bullet proof 4R70W trans, so the 96-01 V8's have always been the best choice for most.

I have no idea about the newer vehicles, so if the goal is any towing or hills etc, research the trans. It's much more important than the engine in such conditions.

I read this thread to hear about the turbo engine information. I love the 3.5 TT potential, and I'd like to get one in a Fusion or a MKZ(like the Taurus SHO has). Good luck,

I don't think there is a different trans in the 2.3 vs. the 3.5 N/A

Greetings folks!

any suggestions?

Thanks

Charlie
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Charlie, the recommended fuel for all 5th gen Explorer, including the Ecoboost, is 87 octane. Premium is only recommended for top performance or towing.
I used 91 octane for several months in my Ecoboost but went back to 87 after not noticing any real difference except to the wallet.;)

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS - 2.3L ECOBOOST™
Engine 2.3L EcoBoost
Cubic inches 138
Required fuel Minimum 87 octane
Firing order 1-3-4-2
Ignition system Coil on plug
Spark plug gap 0.027 - 0.031 in (0.70 - 0.80 mm)
Compression ratio 9.5:1

You can download a PDF version of the 2016 Owners Manual using this link;
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals-search-results.html

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think there is a different trans in the 2.3 vs. the 3.5 N/A

I gather that there is a different trans in each, and that it's a big part of the towing rating. I'd pick the 3.5 engines for any real hard usage, to get the stronger transmission.

Back