4 Wheel Drive disengage procedure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 Wheel Drive disengage procedure?

Turq93t

Reaction score
City, State
Milford Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Xlt
Is there an actual procedure you have to go through when turning off the 4 wheel drive? I don't have the manual for the vehicle was was once told that after turning if off, I need to go in reverse for a about 10-20 feet to properly disengage it.

Also when I turn on the 4 wheel drive it makes a clicking noise.

The vehicle has 165,000 miles on it and was used as a snow plow for a couple years. Don't ask, it wasn't by me.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The backing up 10-20 feet is to dis-engage the automatic hubs. If you have manual hubs, don't back up, just get out and unlock them. :)

The clicking in 4WD might be bad hubs, or ? Can you be more descriptive?

One point I will make, is that it isn't "necessary" to back up and disengage the hubs if you anticipate needing 4WD down the road. Example: On a trip down I-84 in Eastern Oregon: Rain in Pendleton, which turned to snow in the Blues, so I put it in 4H. Turned back into rain when I got to LaGrande, so I put the t-case back into 2H, but I didn't stop to back up because I expected it would turn back into snow while climbing up to Baker. Long story short, between Lagrande and Ontario it was sometimes rain and sometimes snow. I didn't want to stop to unlock the hubs each time I put it into 2H, because I knew I would likely need 4H again. Ended up in Boise before I decided that the rain was going to stay rain and then I disengaged the hubs.

Can you be more descriptive?

Well I haven't driven it yet, it is my girlfriends vehicle. She hears lots of noises that I never hear. Once I drive it I will let you know.

Thanks for the info on the hubs. They are automatic hubs.

What would I be looking at to see if the hubs are bad?

Joe

If the transfer case engages so that the front driveshaft spins, then you don't have a problem in the transfer case (shift motor and such). If either of the axleshafts can spin without locking to the wheel, then the hub is bad. Sometimes, they just get full of grease, which causes them to not work correctly -- try cleaning them out. Other times they're just broken and need to be replaced.

is this only on the first generations? I have never backed up nor had to unlock hubs i just turn it on when i need it and off when i don't.

jeff96 said:
is this only on the first generations? I have never backed up nor had to unlock hubs i just turn it on when i need it and off when i don't.
'95+ don't use locking hubs...........therefore no need to disengage them. ;)

Well I have another question. She, the girlfriend was driving the Explorer, decided to turn the 4 wheel drive off, and she heard a noise, so since she heard a noise she pulled over and backed up to disengage the hubs, then she said the front end shook for a little bit.

Any ideas? I told her I was going to have to drive it and see if I can understand what is wrong.

Could the 4 wheel drive be going bad? What are the signs?

one time i put it in 4low for going up a hill climb (i have auto awd, 4hi, 4lo) and when i turned it off i didnt back up and when i started going again i got to about 20 mph and there was a loud bang and then my overdrive light was blinking and both 4 hi and low lights were lit up. until i turned it off and back on i couldnt get it out of 4low. since then it hasnt happened again should i worry about something broken that isnt essential for 4wd cause i know it still works front and back but sometimes it makes a clicking noise when im in 4high and i take turns that flex my suspension on something

Back