• Register Today It's free!

4R55E transmission problems!

jordantowle21

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer

Hello, I'm new to these forums and threads so you will have to excuse me if I am doing anything wrong.
My problem is that I was leaking fluid from my trans pan and had a broken off bolt so I took off the pan and removed the broken bolt and threaded for a slightly larger size bolt to fit. While I was doing this I decided to clean up the (shift sensor or range sensor?) and while taking those nuts off the shaft, I broke the off the small prong that lifts one of the valves when changing from P to D or similar. It is the small prong attached to the part with the V shaped teeth on it. Anyways in order to get this piece out to fix it I had to take off the (Valve assembly?) and while doing this and taking off the seloniod plugs, a couple of the wires came out of the master harness which is in a circular configuration. *I was wondering if anyone has some pics/diagrams of the wiring for that part so that I know what wire goes where?? I put the wires back in the slots that I was pretty sure they slipped off of, but I am not for certain. After getting everything back together and going for a test drive I am getting a flashing O/D light. *Anyone have any input on this problem?? After reading all the helpful posts on this amazing site I found that I might need to realign the (Range Sensor?). *Any advice or input on this situation would be great! Thanks for anything! And if anyone knows how to let "Glacier991" know of this post that would be great because he seems to know a lot about these problems?!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. A schematic diagram would be helpful in this situation. The connector has 2 parts, so you could match the color codes from both halves together without a diagram. Check # 78 in my list of useful threads for information on how to align the range sensor: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212471. You should use a Helicoil kit to repair the damaged threads. It will enable you to use the same bolt size as the rest of the bolts.

Also, when I start my truck it will idle with higher RPM's than usual.

Everything seems to be shifting correctly except from 1st to 2nd sometimes its a little rough shift, but not everytime and 1st seems very weak for power.

And after going for maybe a 5 mile test drive there were some slight leaks, but the trans pan was extremely hot and the O/D light is still flashing.

I am very mechanically inclined, but I do NOT know much about transmissions.

Thanks again!

Back