4WD LEDs blinking, Parking brake LED stays on, Blend door stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD LEDs blinking, Parking brake LED stays on, Blend door stuck

tchalm

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
98 Explorer XLT w/ 4L SOHC.

What do you think? 1 problem, 2 problems or 3 problems?

First, the Parking brake LED got stuck staying on.

Then a couple weeks later the 4WD LEDs started blinking 6 times every few minutes.

Then another week later the heat/AC Blend door quit working.

Is there one fuse or relay to pull that reboots the computer? I'm sort of joking, but is that a good idea or bad idea?

Other ideas?

Thanks!
TimC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Parking brake light, when you release the brake does it continue to stay on?
I am having the same problem with my 4wd lights, and I was told to disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 minutes, and pump the brake a few times. This causes the computer to "reset" its self and will allow it to basically look at the codes to see if they are actually something worth checking out. Most people that did this havent had a problem with it again.

Otherwise check these threads:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135348&highlight=flashing+4wd+light
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165216&highlight=flashing+4wd+light

Yes, when I release the Parking brake, the light continues to stay on. It seems like the brake is released, but is it possible that it's not quite all the way released?

I'll try that procedure and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

The parking brake light also stays on if brake fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir is low, so check that also. Good luck.

The parking brake light also stays on if brake fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir is low, so check that also. Good luck.

Bingo! Thanks bobflood, you nailed that one. Some brake fluid took care of that.

The blend door is still stuck on Hot, but it's winter time in Oregon so I don't mind; that can wait a while.

As for the 4WD HIGH and LOW LEDs blinking, I went to the shop where they rebuilt the tranny 120,000 miles ago, and they pulled the codes. It looks like the motor to switch the transfer case into 4WD is not working.

Does anyone know if it's easy to replace that motor?

Thanks!

The tranny shop solved problem with the 4WD LEDs blinking. It turned out that the transfer case wouldn't shift. They replaced the worm gear that moves the shift fork, but then they found that the transfer case shift motor was running too slow, so they swapped that out too.

Of the three problems, the blend door is next, but that might have to wait until after the front ball joints.

Cheers!

Back