• Register Today It's free!

5R55S No Codes What to do?

Mkimich

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 xlt
Im new to the forum so please direct me if this question has been answered. My wifes 2006 Explorer XLT V6 (68000mi) has been lunging hard when placed in reverse after the engine was warmed up. Otherwise the truck drives fine. I ran by the dealership the other day and they couldn't pull any codes from a Trans test. Though they said they got some erratic signal from the PCA Solenoid during the road test and then proceeded to tell me the solenoid need replacing and then they quoted me $1200. Then I was told my radiator had a leak and they wanted 1300 for that.

Please correct me if Im wrong but wouldn't the correct steps in fixing this problem be:

Replace the Radiator to make sure the transmission is not heat related.
Flash the TCIL
Then replace the solenoid if there is still a problem.

Am i mistaken in assuming throwing 2500 bucks into the pot based on no real error codes seams a bit ludicrous.

I see alot of these problems on this forum with the third Gen Explorer. Has anyone else experienced this on the 06-10 model. Im assuming its the same problem as the transmission has barely changed from one Gen to the next.

I did some searching around the Net, and found nothing really helpful, other than that is somewhat common. Some have posted solenoid block related problems. Has the transmission been serviced?

BTW, in my opinion, $2500.00 is outrageous.
Sorry I can offer no help, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

PS: Have you tried posting in the 2006+ sub-forum?

Back