Yet Another Flashing O/D (with No Codes) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet Another Flashing O/D (with No Codes)

Jim Fidler

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited V8
I have an early build (summer 2001) 2002 Limited V8 2WD 49K miles, 5R55W/S, fluid changed at 30K, no trailer towing, very well maintained and lightly used. O/D light begins flashing sometimes (sometimes not) and no noticable change in shifting or noticable problems. Seems to shift normally. No OBD II codes found with Actron new CP9125 key on, engine off or KOER. Same for Autozone. Do I need to pay Ford dealer to read codes with NGS or eq? Ford "Workshop Manual" says "TCIL (O/D OFF light) will flash if EPC solenoid circuit is open, shorted to battery, ground, OR if a fault has been detected in a monitored sensor used for transmission purposes." From this it sounds like the EPC solenoid or wiring is bad....assuming there are really no codes stored.

Does an OBD II scanner ignore Manufacturer Specific Codes? Or, does it just report the code number without further info?

Thanks
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Few aftermarket scanners read Manufacturer specific codes. Not to say NONE, but not many. You might have the dealer read the code for you .... the W/S seems to have some problems with the solenoid block. (inherited from the 5R55E).

The dealer will more likely than not read the codes using the WDS system andnot the NGS, but who knows.

I took my Explorer to two different Ford dealers. The first one ($50) said code P0744. I talked with the mechanic and he told me it was due to "excessive slippage" and I should not drive the vehicle and it was going to break down and leave me stranded. He encouraged me to leave the Explorer for transmission repair. (P0744 is actually "TCC circuit intermittant") He said he did not clear any codes. The second dealer ($55) said P0741 which is "TCC slippage detected." They did not try to sell me repairs. Now I'm $110 poorer, really confused and don't know what to do. P0741 and P0744 are not Ford specific and my Actron scanner should read them, as well as the scanner at AutoZone. I don't trust the dealers and still doubt there are any stored codes. I'm sure something is wrong or the O/D light would never flash. But the transmission seems to shift properly before and after the O/D light flashes and the TC lockup seems to work properly, based on looking at the tachometer. Suggestions? BTW, I've driven several hundred miles in the last two days and no flashing O/D light. Thanks.

I took my Explorer to two different Ford dealers. The first one ($50) said code P0744. I talked with the mechanic and he told me it was due to "excessive slippage" and I should not drive the vehicle and it was going to break down and leave me stranded. He encouraged me to leave the Explorer for transmission repair. (P0744 is actually "TCC circuit intermittant") He said he did not clear any codes. The second dealer ($55) said P0741 which is "TCC slippage detected." They did not try to sell me repairs. Now I'm $110 poorer, really confused and don't know what to do. P0741 and P0744 are not Ford specific and my Actron scanner should read them, as well as the scanner at AutoZone. I don't trust the dealers and still doubt there are any stored codes. I'm sure something is wrong or the O/D light would never flash. But the transmission seems to shift properly before and after the O/D light flashes and the TC lockup seems to work properly, based on looking at the tachometer. Suggestions? BTW, I've driven several hundred miles in the last two days and no flashing O/D light. Thanks.
I've had same issue, tried lots of things, and one thing I promise u is it isn't the transmission itself cuz when my codes clear it drives fine till forced acceleration (meaning on my demand not truck) then OD light flashes and crazy shifting starting from 3-5 gears then maybe 1-3 on way back on test drive...another thread I just read (that was considered solved) said the sensor on top of transmission wasn't properly installed by manufacturer they had glued it in place & reinstalling correctly solved the problem...gonna try it

Engine RPM shift detected after TCC Lockup commanded.

TCC Slippage in order of cost/accessibility - NOT likelihood to fix:

- Bad/failing TCC Solenoid/TCC Bracket

- Bad valvebody separator plate gasket

- Sonnax Mods:
According to Sonnax:
"TCC system, converter charge oil comes off the pressure regulator valve (37947-05K) and through the TCC modulator valve (37947-07K) whenever the converter is not applied. As the converter clutch applies, the TCC solenoid duty percentage ramps up and the TCC modulator valve strokes. This switches the oil source from the PR valve to the TCC regulator valve (37947-09K). The TCC regulator valve is supplied by line pressure, which is controlled by the EPC circuit."

- Bad Torque Converter, Converter Clutch Lining is shot - replace Torque Converter.

We have 225,000 miles on our 5R55E, and this has been an issue for almost 2 years. Replaced the solenoid/valvebody gasket, checked the Sonnex Zip-Kit (Already installed), problem persisted. Only part left is the Torque converter - which is now OBVIOUSLY slipping. Now that the case is leaking, we're going to get it replaced.
Sorry.

Engine RPM shift detected after TCC Lockup commanded.

TCC Slippage in order of cost/accessibility - NOT likelihood to fix:

- Bad/failing TCC Solenoid/TCC Bracket

- Bad valvebody separator plate gasket

- Sonnax Mods:
According to Sonnax:
"TCC system, converter charge oil comes off the pressure regulator valve (37947-05K) and through the TCC modulator valve (37947-07K) whenever the converter is not applied. As the converter clutch applies, the TCC solenoid duty percentage ramps up and the TCC modulator valve strokes. This switches the oil source from the PR valve to the TCC regulator valve (37947-09K). The TCC regulator valve is supplied by line pressure, which is controlled by the EPC circuit."

- Bad Torque Converter, Converter Clutch Lining is shot - replace Torque Converter.

We have 225,000 miles on our 5R55E, and this has been an issue for almost 2 years. Replaced the solenoid/valvebody gasket, checked the Sonnex Zip-Kit (Already installed), problem persisted. Only part left is the Torque converter - which is now OBVIOUSLY slipping. Now that the case is leaking, we're going to get it replaced.
Sorry.
The converter itself or sensor???

Mine is the Converter.
:confused:

Back