5th Gen Explorer Photo Thread | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5th Gen Explorer Photo Thread

Easiest way is to take out a $20 Elite membership and you can post directly from your device and the photo will be saved to the Forum's servers and won't disappear like many 3rd party posted pictures. The fee also helps to support this site. See the "Join Elite Explorers" button at the top of the page for more info.

Peter
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just picked up a new to me 2013 limited 4x4. I really like the look of the sport, but my go fast days are long gone, and I couldn't justify the cost. However, I'd really like to paint the grill, door handles, chrome on the bottom of the doors, and the strip on the hatch to black. I'd also like to paint the inside of the headlights black and tint them along with the tail lights. Still looking at all the different wheel options to see what I want to do there. I'm also debating whether I should mess with the suspension at all.

20170527_153512.jpg

Just picked up a new to me 2013 limited 4x4. I really like the look of the sport, but my go fast days are long gone, and I couldn't justify the cost. However, I'd really like to paint the grill, door handles, chrome on the bottom of the doors, and the strip on the hatch to black. I'd also like to paint the inside of the headlights black and tint them along with the tail lights. Still looking at all the different wheel options to see what I want to do there. I'm also debating whether I should mess with the suspension at all.
Welcome to the 5th generation Forum.:wave:
Please add the 2013 Limited to a signature so we will know what you have in future posts. Thank you
There are threads on each of the things you want to do. As for the headlights, I don't know if yours has the HID option but many have complained about the poor lighting of the halogen headlamps, something that tinting and blacking them out will only make worse. Just an FYI. Happy modding.:thumbsup:

Peter

Welcome to the 5th generation Forum.:wave:
Please add the 2013 Limited to a signature so we will know what you have in future posts. Thank you
There are threads on each of the things you want to do. As for the headlights, I don't know if yours has the HID option but many have complained about the poor lighting of the halogen headlamps, something that tinting and blacking them out will only make worse. Just an FYI. Happy modding.:thumbsup:

Peter
It does have the halogen lights. I can't decide if I should go with hid or led for those, but I definitely want to change them. I will say, though, that even these halogen lights are much better than the ones in my first gens! Lol.

It does have the halogen lights. I can't decide if I should go with hid or led for those, but I definitely want to change them. I will say, though, that even these halogen lights are much better than the ones in my first gens! Lol.
Go with the HID kit from daytime brightlights, you won't regret it. They have led kits to replace all the interior bulbs as well as the puddle lights and license plate lights too.

@turboranger91 This is my '13 limited. I've done most of the stuff you want to do I think. Painted stock wheels, grill and bar on the back. HID kit, blacked out headlights with led running lights. Only thing I haven't done yet is the door handles and the chrome on the bottom of the doors. Probably getting that stuff wrapped in just white at least white for the handles possibly black for the bottom pieces. I've also thought about having everything from the windows up wrapped in black, anyone have thoughts on that? Not sure I wanna take it that far lol.

IMG_9217.JPG

@turboranger91 This is my '13 limited. I've done most of the stuff you want to do I think. Painted stock wheels, grill and bar on the back. HID kit, blacked out headlights with led running lights. Only thing I haven't done yet is the door handles and the chrome on the bottom of the doors. Probably getting that stuff wrapped in just white at least white for the handles possibly black for the bottom pieces. I've also thought about having everything from the windows up wrapped in black, anyone have thoughts on that? Not sure I wanna take it that far lol.

View attachment 97388
I'll check that place out. Is that where you got those headlights in the picture? I really like those! Also, what did you use to paint your grill and wheels? Is that just plastidip?

I'll check that place out. Is that where you got those headlights in the picture? I really like those! Also, what did you use to paint your grill and wheels? Is that just plastidip?
Those are the stock headlights that I modified myself. I couldn't find aftermarket headlights for the 13 ex anywhere. I had the wheels and grill professionally painted by a local shop. I did my wife's wheels with plasti dip and they came out decent though and definitely much cheaper.

Those are the stock headlights that I modified myself. I couldn't find aftermarket headlights for the 13 ex anywhere. I had the wheels and grill professionally painted by a local shop. I did my wife's wheels with plasti dip and they came out decent though and definitely much cheaper.
did you do a write up on the headlights? I'd like to see how you did it.

did you do a write up on the headlights? I'd like to see how you did it.
I did not but it wasn't that complicated. There was a really good write up on one of these threads on how to get the bumper off enough to get the headlights out. You basically have to take out the screws on top of the grill and in the wheel wells and the whole bumper will roll forward giving you access to the bolts for the headlights. Then you have to put the headlights in an oven to heat up the permaseal enough to weaken the bond between the housing and the lens. All I needed was 250 degrees for ten minutes and I was able to get about half of the light open. Put it back in for 5 more minutes and got the lens completely off. The most annoying part was digging what was left of the permaseal out of the groove on the housing. Took about two hours per headlight for just that part. The rest was just spray paint and mounting leds with epoxy then sealing them back up with butyl window sealant which is way easier to work with than permaseal. It was a lot of work but nothing too complicated.

View attachment 97388
I'm picking up my 2012 on Saturday, same color scheme... I want to start with the grill and the wheels. Approximately how much did you pay to have them painted? My wife has access to vinyl wrap at her job, so I was also looking into wrapping the door handles and possibly adding vinyl to the indentation in the hood or racing stripes.

I'm picking up my 2012 on Saturday, same color scheme... I want to start with the grill and the wheels. Approximately how much did you pay to have them painted? My wife has access to vinyl wrap at her job, so I was also looking into wrapping the door handles and possibly adding vinyl to the indentation in the hood or racing stripes.
Welcome to the Forum Doug.:wave:

Peter

I think it was like $500 total for the wheels, the grill, the strip on the back and the wraps on the emblems.

I think it was like $500 total for the wheels, the grill, the strip on the back and the wraps on the emblems.
Thanks! That makes it a difficult decision... do the work myself or use the time to earn extra $ to pay for someone else to do it. Your explorer looks great!

Just pick my this 2015 X Sport last week. Just got the windows tinted to 20% today! So far I'm loving this car. I first looked at the burgundy red one, but then fell love with the black one. I'm coming from a 13 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and I'm so glad I'm done with it! Will never own another one in my life!

I'm looking to start modding it fairly soon, but I'm at a school away from the house for a few months and I don't have my tools with me . One thing that I don't understand is why the car comes from factory with a 2.25" exhaust. I thought for sure it would be 2.5" exhaust from factory and step it up with aftermarket 3" exhaust for something pushing 365hp.

NUIeFUP.jpg

Just pick my this 2015 X Sport last week. Just got the windows tinted to 20% today! So far I'm loving this car. I first looked at the burgundy red one, but then fell love with the black one. I'm coming from a 13 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and I'm so glad I'm done with it! Will never own another one in my life!

I'm looking to start modding it fairly soon, but I'm at a school away from the house for a few months and I don't have my tools with me . One thing that I don't understand is why the car comes from factory with a 2.25" exhaust. I thought for sure it would be 2.5" exhaust from factory and step it up with aftermarket 3" exhaust for something pushing 365hp.

NUIeFUP.jpg

Looks so good, I really miss the Tuxedo Black paint and the OEM black wheels......2017 Shadow Black just isn't the same, neither are the grey wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks so good, I really miss the Tuxedo Black paint and the OEM black wheels......2017 Shadow Black just isn't the same, neither are the grey wheels.

Thanks, the black paint has the wonderful flakes in them that makes it stand out from the other black cars out there especially when it's freshly detailed!

Back