7-way trailer plug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

7-way trailer plug

arro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Hi,

A few weeks ago I pulled of the right backlight and connected a 7-way trailer plug to the plug that was there. Anyhow it works OK except that I´m missing the fog light and when I hit the brake the direction lights on the trailer light up and not the brake light. The result is that it will not pass government inspection on pulling a trailer, which will void my insurance if I have an incident with the trailer.

So after looking through the web I probably should have ordered an adapter with instructions to begin with, but now that is too late as I need to get the car through inspection the day after tomorrow. And there is no way I will get the part in two days.

So I have two questions.

1. Fog Light: Where would I connect the wire connecting to the fog light connector on the plug. And is using 16AWG wire ok ?

2. Brake lights: Do you think I have it wired wrong or do I need to do something differently for the brake lights to work correctly ?

As you can see I need to get on the correct track pretty fast as its already 1AM here and I need to fix this tomorrow, so if you have any pointers I would appreciate it greatly.

Regards
Arro of Iceland

Back