'99 Explorer, no crank without battery disconnect and reconnect | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Explorer, no crank without battery disconnect and reconnect

Caius705

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
Hi, recently purchased a 99 explorer, having issues with it.

When you first try to start the car, it will not turn over. All lights, locks, windows and the radio function, the car may be put into gear but the engine will not turn over.

If the battery is disconnected, then reconnected (no difference between being disconnected for 1 second, 10 minutes and overnight) the car will turn over and drive fine with no issues (taken on 25 minute drive as test). If the car is started, then shut off, it will immediately start. If it allowed to sit for several minutes, it will not turn over unless the process with the battery is repeated.

The red "Theft" light remains on for approx. 3 seconds when the key is turned to the on position, then shuts off. I do not have a function FOB for this car, only a single (PATS) key that came with it. The car does not have any keypad entry system.

After reading through several PATS and anti theft system issues on other threads on this forum, I can't find any issues that match up with this one. If I cannot find a solution, I will take it to a ford dealership and see if they can fix it.

Does anyone know of a solution for this issue, or of a thread that addresses this particular issue?

Back