Solved - 98 xlt crank no start. Please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 98 xlt crank no start. Please help

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Pr27.11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer xlt
Hello please help.
1998 explorer xlt 4.0
Anyone help.
Can anyone help me please.
I have a 1998 ford explorer XLT.
Crank no start since tuesday.....
What I've tried.

1. Checked computer codes shows p1000 p1260

2. PAts system seems to have normal function, put key in light goes out after 3 seconds I have no fast flashing theft light.

3. Disconnected the battery for a hour

4. open closed all doors unlock lock repeatedly with the keyless and the door and the reg. locks

5. pulled all switches relays

6 pulled and checked fuses 16 25

7 pulled the GEM to see if it was damaged

8 charged the battery
again I have no flashing theft light
left it open to dry out....

9. Pulled the pcm connector Not burned looked good.

please help

Can anyone help me please. I have a 1998 ford explorer XLT.
I’ve checked am my problem seems to be different then the other ones on here. We didn’t change any parts and we do not have a rapid blinking theft light. Does anyone know how to help us PLEASEEEE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see anything regarding checking for fuel pressure.

Which 4.0L engine do you have? OHV or SOHC?

Typical no start problems are:
Fuel pump not working
Crank position sensor not working
Engine has jumped time (SOHC V6)

If you have fuel, spark and valve timing the engine should run. OBD II P1260 says you have a PATS related problem. Does your THEFT light blink quickly when you try to start the engine?

PATS problems can be complicated to figure out and there's no simple work-around for them. Is there anything you're not telling us about how/when this problem began?

'98 PATS turns off the fuel injectors via the PCM if the RF transponder key can't be recognized by the PCM. This might have something to do with your P1000 ODB II error code. Check ALL your fuses.

Are you 100% sure you have fuel and spark?The P1260 code its sending is a PATS issue.

"Error Code P1260 is set when the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) have determined a theft condition in the system which disabled the engine, or the engine will not start from a non-PATs key attempt. This error code is also a good indicator to check the PATs for error codes.

How to Check
Try turning the key on and then leave it for a few minutes, or until the theft light stops flashing. Then start the vehicle. This will reset the system if the transceiver in the column is working.

If the ‘Theft’ light is still on or flashes and motor turns over but still don’t start, it is possible that the transceiver in the column is at fault. The PATs module is part of the PCM, if the transceiver cannot read the key, then it will disable the fuel ignition. In this case, you will have to take your vehicle to your dealer, or to the shop of a certified technician who will use an advanced scanner to access the PATs’ security portion. They can check the keys present, which will also tell them if the keys are still stored in the memory, as well as the transceiver to see if it is reading the keys."

Are you 100% sure you have fuel and spark?The P1260 code its sending is a PATS issue.

"Error Code P1260 is set when the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) have determined a theft condition in the system which disabled the engine, or the engine will not start from a non-PATs key attempt. This error code is also a good indicator to check the PATs for error codes.

How to Check
Try turning the key on and then leave it for a few minutes, or until the theft light stops flashing. Then start the vehicle. This will reset the system if the transceiver in the column is working.

If the ‘Theft’ light is still on or flashes and motor turns over but still don’t start, it is possible that the transceiver in the column is at fault. The PATs module is part of the PCM, if the transceiver cannot read the key, then it will disable the fuel ignition. In this case, you will have to take your vehicle to your dealer, or to the shop of a certified technician who will use an advanced scanner to access the PATs’ security portion. They can check the keys present, which will also tell them if the keys are still stored in the memory, as well as the transceiver to see if it is reading the keys."
With both my ford keys it has normal function the light blinks slow when I try to start it lights up for 3 sec then goes out I hear the fuel pump try to go but it will not start. So upsetting.

Fuel pump not working

If you have fuel, spark and valve timing the engine should run. OBD II P1260 says you have a PATS related problem. Does your THEFT light blink quickly when you try to start the engine?

PATS problems can be complicated to figure out and there's no simple work-around for them. Is there anything you're not telling us about how/when this problem began?

'98 PATS turns off the fuel injectors via the PCM if the RF transponder key can't be recognized by the PCM. This might have something to do with your P1000 ODB II error code. Check ALL your fuses.

Ok I will check all the fuses. I’ve already checked a lot of them. But truthfully not all.
Ugh nothing is working

It is throwing a PATS error code. This needs to be fixed.

Even if the Theft light does not indicate such, It is still possibly a pats issue. It turns off the injectors via PCM if pats is not working so the fuel pump noise doesnt tell us anything except the fuel pump is turning on. Check the fuses and have your PATS tested to make sure the keys were not cleared somehow and are paired with PATS correctly.

If you have a forscan compatible device or know someone who does you may be able to diagnose the issue without taking it to a shop.

Fuel pump not working

Fuses seem fine.
Swapped relays around for kicks.

Hoping to do a more thorough test for fuel this weekend. I cleared the pats code with my innova 3040e also might order a forscan in the meantime. Thank you so much. Theft light acts normal.

I don’t know how to change this to SOLVED. but thank you all so much I ran through the ford engine start procedure from this site. Together with hubby and realized I was not banging on the cps (crank position sensor)
I thought I was. (So embarrassing)
He wacked on it with a stick and we are up and running again.
I’ve learned so much here
We think we will stay.
Thank you thank you everyone.

Ran through this 2 times
How to: - Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

When in doubt find something bigger to beat on it with. Glad its fixed!

Glad it's fixed. I marked the thread solved.
Thank you.
Also I was thinking. I wonder if I triggered the theft code by running the battery dead trying to run all these test. Because. The p1260 really has nothing to do with my problem I hope this can help someone else

Hello please help.
1998 explorer xlt 4.0
Anyone help.
Can anyone help me please.
I have a 1998 ford explorer XLT.
What I've tried.

1. Checked computer codes shows p1000 p1260

2. PAts system seems to have normal function, put key in light goes out after 3 seconds I have no fast flashing theft light.

3. Disconnected the battery for a hour

4. open closed all doors unlock lock repeatedly with the keyless and the door and the reg. locks

5. pulled all switches relays

6 pulled and checked fuses 16 25

7 pulled the GEM to see if it was damaged

8 charged the battery
again I have no flashing theft light
left it open to dry out....

9. Pulled the pcm connector Not burned looked good.

please help

Can anyone help me please. I have a 1998 ford explorer XLT.
I’ve checked am my problem seems to be different then the other ones on here. We didn’t change any parts and we do not have a rapid blinking theft light. Does anyone know how to help us PLEASEEEE

I don’t know how to change this to SOLVED. but thank you all so much I ran through the ford engine start procedure from this site. Together with hubby and realized I was not banging on the cps (crank position sensor)
I thought I was. (So embarrassing)
He wacked on it with a stick and we are up and running again.
I’ve learned so much here
We think we will stay.
Thank you thank you everyone.

Ran through this 2 times
How to: - Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure
Glad you solved, but your solution sounds a bit strange: that sensor has no moving parts and tapping on it wouldn't make a difference. Its connector may have a loose or contaminated contact, or perhaps there is a broken wire. I would unplug and take a good look.

Glad you solved, but your solution sounds a bit strange: that sensor has no moving parts and tapping on it wouldn't make a difference. Its connector may have a loose or contaminated contact, or perhaps there is a broken wire. I would unplug and take a good look.
Oh it makes a difference. My truck runs now. Found this solution to a headache of a problem. The galvanized pipe in my truck was worth more than any tool I own.
Went through all the same stuff over a $25-$65 part. It's crazy! Went and bought the part..... it must have fairy dust inside or something. Probably magnets.... I haven't installed it yet and I've cranked the exploder many times today from a simple tap tap.

Back