A/C clutch replacement. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C clutch replacement.

You're a lifesaver Tbars!:thumbsup: I was screwing with that thing for hours, and never would have figured that out.

Here is what I did:
- Installed clutch on shaft, and installed bolt loosely.
- Added spacer between outer clutch and field coil.
- Tightened bolt.

IMG_5621.JPG

- After getting it as far as I could, I backed out the bolt, and added a second spacer to finish the job.

IMG_5622.JPG

To install the pulley/bearing, I simply pushed on the left side with my hand, while tapping it with the ball-peen hammer on the right side. I placed a plastic spacer over the pulley so as not to mark it up with the hammer.

Next, I installed the snap ring, placed a little anti-seize on the outer clutch teeth and bolt, added a few washers, and tightened down the bolt. There was some blue stuff on the bolt I removed. I assumed this was some sort of anti-seize, so I did the same with the new bolt.

The torque spec on the bolt is pretty low, so I just snugged it up. There was no way to hold the out clutch in place (that I could see), as it was made differently that the original. The original had 3 "nubs" sticking out out of the front, which I could use for leverage with a screwdriver, when removing the bolt. Not sure how I was supposed to do it on the new one, but hopefully it's tight enough.

Cursed a bit as I installed the serpentine belt by myself, and started it up. Nice cold AC, as always (when it was running).

So, now the problem .....
:(

Now the clutch cycles about every 2 seconds. Before replacing the clutch, once it was on, it stayed on, when the AC was running. I know it should cycle even when off, though not every two seconds, but this behavior seems odd.

Do you remember the width of the washers you used? I'm trying to install a new ac compressor coil as well using washers like you did, but the screw breaks from the pressure before the coil presses all the way on. And also did you use two sets of washers or three, I'm worried maybe I'm not applying even pressure around the coil maybe?

Sorry, I hardly remember doing this. Probably just whatever I had laying around. I'd have to do it again to remember any particulars about what I did.

Thanks for the info. I just finished doing this on my '97 (without removing the compressor or opening the system). The trouble I had was getting the coil completely seated without the bolt stripping/breaking. I was able to get it pressed on within about 3/16" of where it was supposed to go but that's it.

I found a way to gain just enough access to it from the front of the vehicle through an existing hole in the radiator core support. I placed a 4" PVC clean-out plug on the coil assembly and used a long 1/2"-drive extension and a few light taps with a hammer. This drove it the rest of the way on to the compressor. Had to first pull the grill and loosen the radiator to do it, but here's how:

--mike
I know this is a super old thread. But if you are still around I want to thank you for saving me endless days of frustration and giving me the simple idea you had that totally makes sense. I was ready to give up at at this point. 👍

Back