• Register Today It's free!

A History Lesson Please

XLT469

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Could someone give a rundown on the Ford 4.0,my 2002 Needs a new heart.I was curious on what years will bolt right in and which wont.Eg: will a 1999 fit?Ive gathered there is a ohv and a shov,but externally are they the same?Thanks -Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any sohc block will work, you will just have to swap over your old parts,

I wasnt to clear on my original question.Whats the big different between a sohv and a ohv,could i pull my 4.0sohv and slap a 4.0ohv in its place or is to much different to make it work?I.e. computers,brackets,etc?I can get a 1999 ohv for nothing,and my 2002 has the sohv version.Thanks

S.O.C.H. Single overhead cam 1 cam in each head drives both intake and exhaust valves. i think 2000 and newer are all 4.0L SOCH

O.H.V. Over Head Valve. 1 cam in THE BLOCK dives the valves via pushrods and rockers. 2000 and older.

The OHV will fit but will NOT WORK with anything else...so you want a SOCH.
The Soch will drop right in and will connect with all of your old sensors and everything else.

If your doing this your self pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual..
just a tip when you do the swap, get masking tape and tape all of the connections. Start labeling them A B C and so on... if you run out of letters go to numbers.

It is SOHC, not SOCH.

stands for single over head cam.

Back