Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The airbag light fix lasted less than 3 months...which is less than the Ford Service department had the vehicle in repair [over 4 months]. They replaced wire harnesses and the entire module. Will bring it back to dealer tomorrow. Additionally, a warning occassionally comes on stating the vehicle is not in park, when is defintiely in park. Anybody get this warning?
--I know Ford representatives monitor these posts, is there any way we can get a vehicle exchange?!? We have owned this vehicle for roughly 2 years [32K] and it has been in the shop for about 1/6 of that time! Ridiculous!! Will Ford entertain such a request without a lawyer or do I need a lawyer to pursue this option.

Thanks.
Very Dissatisfied
It is always a good idea to use the Forum's 'Search' program when asking about problems etc. For the 'shift to park' issue there is a 13 page thread on it; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375462&highlight=shift+park
The shifter will need to be replaced.
As for a vehicle exchange, I don't see any way that will happen with or without a lawyer. You can always try the 'Lemon Law' route but I don't know exactly
what the qualifications or time limits are on that. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer Airbag light

My airbag light just came on, dealer is telling me that its not a recall or covered by extended warranty. So for everyone that this has happened to, what did you have to pay to get it fixed?
I think everyone should file a Vehicle Safety Complaint with the NHTSA. Its crazy that ford has recalled 850,000 cars for what sounds like the same exact thing the dealer just told me, but the Explorer was not included in the recall. If they do an investigation and find there is a problem and needs to be a recall, then we would all get refunded.

-In the affected vehicles, the restraints control module may experience a short circuit. If a short circuit occurs, the airbag warning indicator will illuminate. Depending on the location of the short circuit, the deployable restraint systems (e.g., airbags, pretensioners, side curtains) may not function as intended in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury. The short circuit may also affect the function of other systems that use data from the restraints control module, including stability control. In these cases, the corresponding warning indicator lamps would also illuminate.

My 2012 xlt explore had air/bag light came on. I had 2 outstanding recalls so I ask to check it out. On this forum I read about the dealer adding grease to a electrical connection. The delaler I took mine too said there was a bulletin out on the air bag and greased the connectors. Mine went away I'm not sure for how long. I took a picture of my work order with the called out connectors I'll try to upload. Hope this helps

Not sure how to upload

I'm not sure on how to upload but here are the connector number they greased. C3102 & C210

I'm not sure on how to upload but here are the connector number they greased. C3102 & C210
If it is a picture you are trying to up load, instructions are in the 'Sticky' section of the New Members Introduction thread. You can also take out a $20 Elite membership which will help support this site and then you can load pics directly from your computer.
Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Got my Explorer back.

--The 'Vehicle not in Park' warning light was fixed by replacing the shifter. Covered under the extended warranty. An aside, I purchased a plan administered by Assurance (very easy getting claim approved/paid).

--The Aigbag Light issue was fixed by replacing another sensor and soldering a connector (according to the Ford service rep). The local Ford service department rep told me the repair was out of the warranty period (I own a 2014 with 32K). Since I have had multiple SRS issues, I called the Ford company service that agreed and reduced the cost to a $50 co-pay. The initial quote was $350.

While I was not happy paying anything for this repair I accepted it. I am sure Ford knows or feels they have already lost any future business with me, as this is my first (and last) Ford purchase. Of all the cars I have owned (to include used ones), I have never had such a continuous issue. I will file a complaint about the safety system with NHTSA as some forum users have suggested...hopefully future owners will not have to pay for issue that is obviously a flawed design/technical issue.

Got my Explorer back.

--The 'Vehicle not in Park' warning light was fixed by replacing the shifter. Covered under the extended warranty. An aside, I purchased a plan administered by Assurance (very easy getting claim approved/paid).

--The Aigbag Light issue was fixed by replacing another sensor and soldering a connector (according to the Ford service rep). The local Ford service department rep told me the repair was out of the warranty period (I own a 2014 with 32K). Since I have had multiple SRS issues, I called the Ford company service that agreed and reduced the cost to a $50 co-pay. The initial quote was $350.

While I was not happy paying anything for this repair I accepted it. I am sure Ford knows or feels they have already lost any future business with me, as this is my first (and last) Ford purchase. Of all the cars I have owned (to include used ones), I have never had such a continuous issue. I will file a complaint about the safety system with NHTSA as some forum users have suggested...hopefully future owners will not have to pay for issue that is obviously a flawed design/technical issue.
Good to know everything was fixed. Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Got my Explorer back.

I'm really confused? A 2014 with 32k miles is out of warranty?

Bumper to Bumper ends at 36k 3 years and then the extended SRS warranty kicks in.

Page 11 of Ford 2014 Model Year Warranty Guide:
"(2) Your vehicle’s safety belts and air bag Supplemental Restraint System
(SRS) are covered for an extended Safety Restraint Coverage Period,
which lasts for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

Well....2016 Sport w/ 2000 miles and my airbag light is coming on. Guess I'm making my first trip to the dealer already .

Is this true what I'm reading??! The dealers are telling people this is NOT covered by warranty?? How does anybody accept that as an answer? I won't pay Ford a dime to fix this.

Well....2016 Sport w/ 2000 miles and my airbag light is coming on. Guess I'm making my first trip to the dealer already .

Is this true what I'm reading??! The dealers are telling people this is NOT covered by warranty?? How does anybody accept that as an answer? I won't pay Ford a dime to fix this.
I believe those that are saying that are now under the ESP. The ESP does in fact cover these items;
• Module (Passive Restraint)
• Safety Belt Buckle
(Front and Rear)
• Safety Belt Motor
Drive Assembly
• Safety Belt
Restraint Carrier
• Safety Belt Retractors
• Safety Belt Track Asy
• Safety Belt Warning Chime
Assembly
• Safety Canopy
• Sensors (Airbag)
• Shoulder Strap
Track Assembly
• Wiring Asy (Airbag)

Peter

Is this true what I'm reading??! ... I won't pay Ford a dime to fix this.

1. No, it's not true for a vehicle within the warranty period.
2. You won't have to pay Ford if it is an airbag system issue that is a manufacturing defect.

There are people who have said they had to pay for repairs outside of warranty coverage.

Airbag indicator on

My airbag indicator just came on about a week ago. Doesn't blink -- stays on steady. The dealer told me it's the seatbelt pretensioner and will be $450 to fix. If it's not fixed, the airbag won't deploy. Anyone have a similar issue?

Mine only comes on when my mother-in-law is in the car!

My airbag indicator just came on about a week ago. Doesn't blink -- stays on steady. The dealer told me it's the seatbelt pretensioner and will be $450 to fix. If it's not fixed, the airbag won't deploy. Anyone have a similar issue?
There is a 13 page thread on this topic which I found using the Forum's 'Search' function. Keep in mind that the 5th gen, is now in its 6th year of production and there aren't too many issues that haven't already been discussed here.

BTW, welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

I hope I dont jinx it, but I took my explorer in back in August to have the wiring harness replaced in the 2nd row (seat belt airbag restraints). Was previously taking it in every 6-8 weeks dating back to last November. I am happy to say that replacing the wiring harness in August seems to have fixed the warning issue. I have not had any airbag lights come on since then and have lifted and lowered the 2nd row several time within that window.

2015 Ford Explorer Sport Airbag light on

Dropped my 2015 Explorer Sport off at dealership with airbag light consistently on. It does occasionally go off and seems to be random. Dealership said it needs a new harness. On Dec 28th they told me the part was back ordered. After waiting nearly a week and a half they called to tell me the part wasn't due in until Jan 15. On Jan 15 they called and said part did not come and was trying to contact Ford to see what the delay was and a new date of arrival. As of today my Ford dealer has still not heard from Ford. I attempted to call Ford Customer Care Jan 15. I left a message with our caseworker who is the Regional Customer Service Manager, included my name, phone number, our case number and as of today have still not received a call back. I attempt to call again and left another message this morning. No end in sight as to when my car will be repaired. On day 23 with no car. I've been told the airbags will likely not work in a crash when the light is on. Wondering why this part is back ordered! Is there a big issue with Ford and this part? While I don't want to put my 3 children in a car with non working airbags I am also paying a lot of a car I can not drive and Ford doesn't seem to be making an effort in remedying this in a timely manner. Any suggestions? Or any others experiencing the same problem??

Sorry about your issue.

Hopefully a Ford Rep will chime in here and be able to help you out.

Dropped my 2015 Explorer Sport off at dealership with airbag light consistently on. It does occasionally go off and seems to be random. Dealership said it needs a new harness. On Dec 28th they told me the part was back ordered. After waiting nearly a week and a half they called to tell me the part wasn't due in until Jan 15. On Jan 15 they called and said part did not come and was trying to contact Ford to see what the delay was and a new date of arrival. As of today my Ford dealer has still not heard from Ford. I attempted to call Ford Customer Care Jan 15. I left a message with our caseworker who is the Regional Customer Service Manager, included my name, phone number, our case number and as of today have still not received a call back. I attempt to call again and left another message this morning. No end in sight as to when my car will be repaired. On day 23 with no car. I've been told the airbags will likely not work in a crash when the light is on. Wondering why this part is back ordered! Is there a big issue with Ford and this part? While I don't want to put my 3 children in a car with non working airbags I am also paying a lot of a car I can not drive and Ford doesn't seem to be making an effort in remedying this in a timely manner. Any suggestions? Or any others experiencing the same problem??
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Using the Forum's 'Search' program, I found this existing thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

Sorry about your issue.

Hopefully a Ford Rep will chime in here and be able to help you out.
As per the "Out of Office thread" in the sticky section;

Hey Ford Fam,

We will be away from the forum temporarily. If you guys need help, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us via Twitter or Facebook. If you need immediate assistance, please contact your dealer or the Customer Relationship Center. For the CRC, dial 1-800-392-3673 OR 1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired).

Thanks for your patience!

Tricia

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the quick reply, msugeek. Definitely let us know if you're able to track down this issue yourself; otherwise come back and report on how things go at the dealer. If you need me to, I'll be able to research ways to assist once they've diagnosed it for you.

Crystal

So you can now add me to this list as well. My light has been going on and off for at least 1 year and 15k miles. Every time I've taken it to the dealer until recently it wouldn't be lit and they couldn't find an issue. Finally it stayed on permanently. $542 later supposedly the dealer has fixed the issue by bypassing the original wire in the wiring harness with another wire and pin replacement in the main harness.

This is absolutely ridiculous - obviously Ford knows it's an issue and due to all the internal console components you have to pull out it takes hours and of course the ridiculous charge. AND of course my 3rd party extended warranty don't cover the expense either.

You would think something around the SRS system would be of greater importance to Ford and covering an obvious problem. God forbid someone's airbag doesn't deploy as a result of this... maybe that's what has to happen to wake Ford up to resolve. :(

2011 Ford Explorer Limited
59195 miles at time of service
Service date 2016.02.02

Back