Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mine has been throwing a lite now and then. It did it last week when I left a dealer after getting an oil change. I went right back and left the vehicle running spoke to some young service writer and he said it would take two hours to pull the code! So I left frustrated. Today it came on I went to another dealer and explained the situation. They sent a tech out with his computer in 5 minutes. They got the code
B141B and booked me an appointment for Monday at 7:30 AM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the dealer replace the connectors under the rear seat. Light has been off since I got it back. I hope it stays off now.

So the dealer replace the connectors under the rear seat. Light has been off since I got it back. I hope it stays off now.
They didn't charge you for that did they?

Peter

No charge. It is still under the 5/60000mi supplemental restraint warranty. Plus I have an ESP.
I should have mentioned the connectors are visible when you fold the second row seats. No need to remove the seat bottoms to see if it was done.

Wow this thread solved it, I think.

Pulled the bar down, plug came out and blew both sides with my hot air. Plugged back in, latched it and no light! Restarted car several times (like 7 or so) and nada.

I replaced one of the pretensions about 4 years ago, it was like 400 to 600 from what i recall. It was cleaned even before that and lasted like 6 months.

I don't trust this car anymore.

Hi, just curious what you meant by hot air? using heat gun?

My light came on too.. driving me nuts!!!!

My local ford dealer fixed this issue under the 5yr/60,000mi supplemental restraint system warranty. My Explorer is out of the 3yr/ 36,000mi. bumper to bumper warranty. The B141B code is a fault with the 2nd row inflatable seat belts. If any one has this and your car is out of warranty, check the supplemental restraint system warranty. This just FYI.

I forgot to mention that the TSB 16-0001 addresses the issue of the second row inflatable seat belts code of B141A and B141B.

The airbag light on my 2016 Explorer Limited has been on for months. About two years ago, I took it to the dealer and they said it was throwing the DTC B141B and/or B141C code and needed the TSB 16-0001 fix. They ordered the parts under the safety warranty but I never went back and had the work done because the light went off shortly after (and who wants to donate their car to the dealer for multiple days if they don't have to). Smash cut to yesterday when I took it in when fear developed that the airbags wouldn't work anywhere in the car. Same codes, same fix, only now I'm not under the safety warranty. I declined the $626 repair (for two simple connectors? please...) and got to work.

I started with the second row passenger side (I have the seats with the center console, I think they're called 60/40, no armrest) by flipping it up and checking out that connector. I disconnected it, routed it on the other side of the metal bar, and reconnected. Plugged the battery back in and still had the light. Next, I moved to the drivers side where the connector had been wrapped in electrical tape. I removed it and found that it was covered in (I think) dielectric grease (kind of blue-ish) inside and out. Thinking that amount of grease was kind of extreme, I toweled some out and picked some out of the female end with some tweezers. Connected back up and no warning light! We'll see if it lasts but it seems like it all comes down to quality connections.

I imagine that anyone could just detach/reattach multiple times and it's likely the light would go away. The fact that Ford wants a $626 ransom to improve the connection to a safety-critical item is insane and I hope this helps somebody.

Me: "Does this light mean that none of my airbags work or just the second row?"
Ford Service: "There's no guarantee any of them work when the light is on."

That said, I would be shocked if a fault with a rear airbag causes the entire airbag system to shut down. Clearly, the car knows it has a second row problem only (hence the specific code) and my hope is that whoever programmed it wouldn't just make it failsafe the whole system...

Attachments

• 488.pdf
    209.5 KB · Views: 604

Welcome to the Forum Jake. :wave:
The 2nd row seats with the center console are bucket seats. The 60/40 refers to the bench seat. The connector under the driver's seat is the most common problem.
Here is what the Manual says about the airbag warning light being ON;
If any of these things happen, even
intermittently, have the supplemental
restraint system serviced at an authorized
dealer immediately. Unless serviced, the
system may not function properly in the

event of a crash.

Peter

I just came across this thread. My dealer ran the diagnostic test and they told me that part #FU2Z-14S411-RB needs to be replaced. They want $1000 bucks to replace both pigtails. They also charged a $139 diagnostic fee that they would probably be covered by warranty because it was an airbag issue. Now they are saying the 5 year 60,000 warranty wont cover the replacement of the pigtails. I have seen several people have success with getting the 5 year 60k to cover it. Has anyone tried fighting this with no success? For those of you that got it covered by the 5year/60k what dealership did you get it covered by?

My light just came on the other day and it was the connection under the passenger side 2nd-row seat. Unplugged and reinstalled and has been fin since.

I used to have this issue on my 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible, always the connection under the seat.

Mine has been throwing a lite now and then. It did it last week when I left a dealer after getting an oil change. I went right back and left the vehicle running spoke to some young service writer and he said it would take two hours to pull the code! So I left frustrated. Today it came on I went to another dealer and explained the situation. They sent a tech out with his computer in 5 minutes. They got the code
B141B and booked me an appointment for Monday at 7:30 AM.

I just bought a 2014 XLT. I brought it to a shopt for an inspection. There are no lights on the dash (check engine, air bag, etc.) Their computers pulled the B141B-13 code. They said it could be from a pinched or worn wire. Since my airbag light isnt on, does that mean all of my airbags are still working? Should that code cause the airbag light to come on?

Update. Almost 1 year since cleaning that connector and the air bag light is on again. Forscan confirms it is the same seat and the same error, inflatable seat belt open circuit second row passenger side. Forscan says it measures 5 Ohms while the circuit on the rear drivers side measures 2.

Of course as soon as you wiggle the connector and wires the resistance changes. I am done playing games with this.

Cut the plug and socket completely out of the circuit and connected the wires from the seat directly to the vehicle harness. Soldered and heat shrunk every single wire.

The photo shows what was cut out. Is this the way Ford sends a vehicle out of the factory? Or is this some half-a$$ attempted repair at the Ford Dealership? My vehicle report has a notation that this vehicle was serviced for an air bag light before I purchased it.

The plug on the vehicle harness side was connected by crimp connectors that were then soldered and very sloppily heat shrunk. It was a disaster and was unable to determine if the sloppy repair or an intermittent connection in the plug was the cause of high resistance.

img_2126-jpg.jpg

img_2127-jpg.jpg

img_2128-jpg.jpg

It surprises me that with how sensitive the system is that Ford does not use gold plated connectors at least on the air bag circuits. The wires should be soldered to the pins, rather then crimped as well. This issue could have just been a bad factory crimp in the connector pins. The connector pins still looked clean and shiny.

Anyway if you keep getting the airbag from hell light here is a way to solve it once and for all!

Quote Reply
Report Edit

My 2011 had this issue and spent days in the shop and Ford could not figure it out. They did everything one could think of and even lied about re-wiring it but there were no signs of any new wiring and the problem re-occurred two months later. I got to a point where I simply gave up, pulled the dash and covered the light with foil so I don't see it every day. Stupid, you can say that, no offense, but I felt Ford was completely incompetent in fixing this and I dealt with four different dealerships. I was so annoyed driving to work I just figured I would take my chance and enjoy my ride with that M.F.G.D. light!

I just bought a 2014 XLT. I brought it to a shopt for an inspection. There are no lights on the dash (check engine, air bag, etc.) Their computers pulled the B141B-13 code. They said it could be from a pinched or worn wire. Since my airbag light isnt on, does that mean all of my airbags are still working? Should that code cause the airbag light to come on?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When you said "no lights on the dash" are you referring to warning lights or no lights at all? You should get all wearing lights to light up upon starting the vehicle. That is a 'self check' to ensure they are working. That code B141B signifies an issue with the 2nd row inflatable seat belts. Since the warning light is not on, the system should be functional providing the warning light itself is working.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention that the TSB 16-0001 addresses the issue of the second row inflatable seat belts code of B141A and B141B.
Question:

In TSB 16-0001 the instructions are a bit unclear. Has anyone done this?
Here is my issue:

Step 4. On the left and right side, disconnect the connectors and remove the connector and wiring harness pushpin from its mounting on the seat frame. (We'll call this pushpin #1)

Step 5. On both sides, follow the seat harness and locate the next harness retaining pushpin and remove it from its mounting position to allow for more harness movement. Cut and discard the protruding end of the push pin. (We'll call this pushpin #2)

Step 6. On the male side of both connectors where the wiring harness is taped to the harness pushpin retainers, remove the retaining tape and the harness pushpin. Discard the pushpin. (Is this pushpin #1 again?)

Step 7 - 8a. <Determine your configuration and replace the female connector.>

Step 8b. On the male connector make a loop of the harness with the wire for strain relief. Tape it to the connector with electrical tape.

Step 8c. Reconnect the connector.

Step 8d. Reattach the connector to the seat mounting with the existing pushpin.

The problem is pushpin #1 was discarded and pushpin #2 was cut off. What pushpin are they talking about in step 8d?

Back