• Register Today It's free!

Amp shutting off Head unit!

PYROMANIAC

Reaction score
City, State
LOS ANGELES, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I think that my amplifier id shutting off my head unit. It seems that whenever I had the system running and bumpin' the head unit would shut off after maybe a solid hour and 1/2. I would notice that all of a suden there would be no sound and then out of nowhere there was sound again. What i began doing was disconnection the amplifier and I noticed that the head unit came back on. It is my opinion that the head unit somehow cannot handle the amplifier and it gets too hot and simply shuts off. I am however, giving the thing the benefit of the doubt. If any one has a different, more sophisticated opinion please share. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm...need a little more info to help you out bro.

1. What kind of HU are you using?

2. How is the HU hooked up? Low level inputs? RCA's?

3. Do you have the capability to shut off the (HU) internal amp?

4. Is the remote turn-on powering anything else?

5. How do you have power/grounds run and what gauge wire for both the HU and Amp?

6. Does this happen only when driving or all the time?

Yes too many variables not answered in order to try and troubleshoot the problem. If your using a aftermarket HU with rca jacks to the amp the problem would allmost have to be a problem in the remote on wire being overloaded. Are you loosing the display on the HU or just audio? If you are using line level inputs on the amp you may be overheating the HU's internal amp due to a problem with impedence incompatability.

Figured it out. It turns out that the h u was shutting off b/c the power wire was also connected to another source that indeed was overheating the internal components of the hu. The amp is compaible but the installation was what caused this to begin with. the only thing we still cant expalin is why there was a display on the h u but no sound. If it was overheating shouldn't the display die out also? hummmmmm?

I get a wierd one also

I'm running a stk HU in my 93X thats hooked to a Lanzar Encore 360 pushing a single 10" sub, and every once in a while (could be one for 2sec or 2hrs) my HU shuts off and clears the time & presets out. Now for the REALLY strange part - Turn the radio back on and set the time & the first preset station and all the sudden the rest of my original preset stations come back ???!!??

Me thinks it haunted !!

Back