• Register Today It's free!

Anti-Theft Flashing Lights

mikeytotka23

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have a key fob to lock/unlock my explorer, and have noticed that whenever I lock or unlock it, the lights do not flash like every other car i've seen with keyless entry. The horn does honk when I press the lock button twice, and the interior lights come on when I unlock it. Does anyone know if the lights are supposed to flash? And if they are, is there some way I can enable that? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems like they should? I have a 95, but didnt get a keyfob when I bought it (used about 2 months ago) and have yet to order one yet, but you might not have a stock system....whats your fob look like? Just the 3 button, lock, unlock, and panic centered below the other two?

It seems like they should? I have a 95, but didnt get a keyfob when I bought it (used about 2 months ago) and have yet to order one yet, but you might not have a stock system....whats your fob look like? Just the 3 button, lock, unlock, and panic centered below the other two?

It is the stock keyfob (4 buttons for 2002: unlock, lock, panic, rear window) that came with the car.

Hmm...idk, I wonder if theres anyway to reset the module?

Idk really anything about 3rd gens, but in the 2nd gens, its under the rear interior panel in the cargo area, its agrey box with a couple big connectors, and another one that looks like an antenna wire; if you can find out where it is on yours, try unplugging it all for about 30 mins.

Mine don't flash, so I don't think that was an option

The flashing isn't part of the setup. I think if you push it twice to chirp the horn they might flash for a split second, but not like an aftermarket alarm does.

Thats what I thought he was talking about, how they barely like "pulse" when the horn chirps....

Shouldnt they come on when he unlocks it though? When did they introduce that to explorers?

The flashing isn't part of the setup. I think if you push it twice to chirp the horn they might flash for a split second, but not like an aftermarket alarm does.

I don't mean like excessive flashing or anything, but usually on stock anti-theft systems, the lights flash once or twice when you lock/unlock the car with the remote. Every car I've seen with stock alarms has this (i.e. Jeep Patriot-2007, Jeep Grand Cherokee-2001, Lincoln Navigator-2003,2004, Volkswagen Passat-2004, Mercury Mountaineer-2004), so I don't really see why it wouldn't be present on the explorer.

Thats what I thought he was talking about, how they barely like "pulse" when the horn chirps....

Shouldnt they come on when he unlocks it though? When did they introduce that to explorers?

Exactly, mine don't flash at all when I lock/unlock it.

The stock RKE does not flash the lights or honk the horn unless you press the lock button twice. When doing this it will honk once if all the doors are closed properly and twice if there is a door ajar. There is no way to change this.

If I was your neighbor I would be glad that it is like this and not like some of the other remote entrys out there. Nothing like a honking horn at 2 in the morning to wake a baby up...

Jeff

on my '04 if you hit the lock button once, nothing happens other then locking all doors.
If you hit the button twice i get a chirp and a quick flash of the parking lights. . On unlock only the Puddle Lamps and Interior lights come on. .

The stock RKE does not flash the lights or honk the horn unless you press the lock button twice. When doing this it will honk once if all the doors are closed properly and twice if there is a door ajar. There is no way to change this.

If I was your neighbor I would be glad that it is like this and not like some of the other remote entrys out there. Nothing like a honking horn at 2 in the morning to wake a baby up...

Jeff

When I press the lock button twice the horn honks once but the lights do not flash.

And btw, I totally agree about unnecessarily honking the horn, especially early in the morning/late at night, since you can hear the doors lock anyway. I use the horn usually when I'm in a parking lot, etc. when I'm walking away from the car so I'm sure its locked, but I would still like to have the lights flashing (easier to find the car in the mall/walmart parking lot at night when there are a dozen green explorers parked next to each other).

on my '04 if you hit the lock button once, nothing happens other then locking all doors.
If you hit the button twice i get a chirp and a quick flash of the tail lights, if i remember correctly. Although i'm not sure if the front does anything. . On unlock only the Puddle Lamps come on. .

Mine does the same except the tail lights do not flash.

on my 02 xlt the lights flash and the horn honks once when you press the lock button twice. however, the lights only flash if the vehicle was unlocked prior to pressing the button twice. if it was already locked, the lights won't flash, but the horn will honk. is it possible that your explorer's already locked when you're trying this?

on my 02 xlt the lights flash and the horn honks once when you press the lock button twice. however, the lights only flash if the vehicle was unlocked prior to pressing the button twice. if it was already locked, the lights won't flash, but the horn will honk. is it possible that your explorer's already locked when you're trying this?

No, I always use the remote to lock it.

Is it possible to reset something in the car to make the lights flash?

On my 05, I hit the lock button once and the lights flash once.

Even when I hit the lock button on the door, when the last door is closed the lights flash once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 05, I hit the lock button once and the lights flash once.

Even when I hit the lock button on the door, when the last door is closed the lights flash once.

Yea, my 05 does this also.

If I jump out and either lock it with the door or fob, when all the doors/liftgate is closed, the lights/puddle lights all flash once.

If I hit the lock button twice on my fob, it beeps (once if all closed, twice if something is open)

Back