are the maf and tb worth the money | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

are the maf and tb worth the money

hey guys christmas is coming up and i will be getting a 70mm maf and 66mm tb bbk,.. my questions are .......are they worth the money? can you feel the difference? and if you had to guess how much horsepower did these modifactions add?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The BBK TB's worth it, I didn't feel ANY difference with the Pro-M MAF. HP guess? 10 maybe with the TB, ZERO for the MAF :D

I've also heard the same thing about the MAS. The claims companies make on those are usually to mildly modded engines. You might want to do some other things first and then add the MAS to compliement them.

MAF alone is worth almost nothing, in my case maybe two H.P. on the upside, flowing 30% more air will lead to cooler IAT temps at freeway speed.
In my case temps are right at ambiant instead of 10 over, thats worth maybe 1% more H.P, not alota bang for the buck

I added the MAF last, after the intake, exhaust, TB, headers, test pipe, Apten, and felt NOTHING. One day I even swapped the aftermarket with stock, reset the computer, and didn't feel any difference. Maybe my chip needs to be reburned indicating an aftermarket MAF, which I doubt.

The guy I bought my S/C from gave me a 75 Pro-M to go along with it. I had a check engine light when I had it on, so I put my stock one back on and felt a difference from off the line.

you cant feel 2-4 H.P but it can be measured via dyno, is the last thing you want to add as a bolt on, sort of ties intake, exhaust and chip mods together

my BBK seem to make a little bit of a diff MAYBE 10hp

well ill get the tb then but if the maf isnt worth it what is, thorttle body spacer, electric fan, hedman headers? which one should i get?

TB spacer: Won't add power but may increase gas mileage under normal driving

Electric fan: Not enough difference to go through the trouble

Headers: I've heard they don't do much. Unless you plan on a S/C, the stock ones will be adequate.

Your best bet on bang for the buck is prob. an Apten chip.

i dont want to add a chip yet ... well what do you people think is the best mod under $230 (besides a intake bbk tb and exhaust) ??????????????

I agree, the TB made such a huge difference for me. about 2 weeks later I put the maf on, and didn't notice much of a change, just sort of smoothed everything out.

DON'T GET HEADERS! I've got them and regret it. I plan on S/C'ing sometime but wish I would've put them on at that time. Get an Apten.

Why don't you wanna get a chip? That's the best bang for your buck at this point.

huskyfan23 said:
Why don't you wanna get a chip? That's the best bang for your buck at this point.

Exactly. It's easy to install and gives the best results IMO for what you pay. Again, you get what you pay for.

Whats with the hostility against the chip? You seemed to get irate at the simple suggestion of it.

i dont want to get a chip yet because the place that is burning my chip(sct) also has a dyno, so i want to have all my other mods done then go get the chip and put it on the dyno (mostly so i can get the most out of my chip, hopefully gonna get 150hp)... can i bore out my existing maf to 70mm or should i just get a maf off a 95 ohv explorer? what mods then?

you're going to get another 150hp after a few comparatively minor mods???? (compared to a SC)

You could get one of those resistor type thingies on Ebay for 30 Bux, same as a chip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You've gotta buy an aftermarket or none. The aftermarket comes with a custom-tuned sensor.

Back