New MAF, TB and Apten Chip?

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
Just installed a Pacesetter catback exhaust and a KKM kit for my 91 X Eddie Bauer. These two mods noticeably helped accleration and throttle response. Now I've ordered a Granatelli MAF sensor and a BBK 66mm TB from Truck performance center. I've also JUST ordered an Apten chip. Two questions, though. I didn't tell Apten that I'd be adding the new MAF and TB prior to installing my chip....will these components reduce the chip's performance? Also, on Granatelli's website I saw a "cold air" version of the MAF I ordered....will the fact that I have a KKM cause problems on my presumably "non-cold air" Granatelli MAF?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would give him that info. I'm sure he will double check on all the info with you (he did with me). But send the info to him just in case.

Originally posted by MaximumViolence
Also, on Granatelli's website I saw a "cold air" version of the MAF I ordered....will the fact that I have a KKM cause problems on my presumably "non-cold air" Granatelli MAF?

If you've already got the KKM and Granatelli MAF on and it runs fine, you should be good. I called Granatelli to ask about something else when I got mine, and I asked about the cold-air tuning because I was about to get the KKM.. The guy said it may or may not be a problem, just have to see if a problem occurs with both installed.. Gladly, no problems for me

As for the chip, just give Brian the info like stated above... I think he'd make any necessary changes (if any, like the MAF)

I actually asked Brian about that...literally that question too. I had just installed my BBK TB, granatelli, and KKM, but had forgotten to inform him of the changes. He assured me that the stock chip I had installed would be more than fine and as it turned out- it was. I don't have a cat-back mod, so maybe that changes things, I'd email him either way!
BTW- The BBK TB and the granatelli make a tremendous difference!!!!! You'll be VERY happy with the results!
Take care,
Greg

As you can see I have already done the mods you are talking about. These will enhance the performance the chip will give. I asked Brian the same questions and gave him all the info on the parts I was going to install and he said it didn't matter for the programming. I am installing my chip this weekend and even without it I have noticed a big difference.

Oh, and remember, the only stupid/idiotic question is the one that isn't asked.;)

I've been running a KKM with Granatelli MAF for some time and no problems. My Gran MAF is the standard calibration, not the cold air one.

On the Apten website it does say that changing the MAF can affect the chip, i.e. you might have to have it re-burned. It would depend on the calibration of the MAF though.

I'm going to get an Apten soon, after I get my TB back from Summit Racing.

Back