Are there any "Gotchas" when I R&R battery ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are there any "Gotchas" when I R&R battery ?

jnsnwt

Reaction score
City, State
Odessa, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT Sport, 5 Spd
The '02 XLS still has the original battery in it so before cold wather catches me I'll replace it. Can I just swap the batteries or will I lose any stored codes or info ? Like the radio anti theft code ? Do I need to use one of those 9 volt batteries that plug into the lighter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just swap it out. You will need to reset the radio station presets though.

Good luck ..........

jnsnwt said:
Do I need to use one of those 9 volt batteries that plug into the lighter?

Those are always good to use. I cleaned the terminals on like a '99 or '00 Sable and the radio wouldn't play anymore, but then randomly turned back on after awhile. They are great to have, if used properly.

-Drew

just the radio is all you gotta worry about (your presets and clock that is)

Remove the negative lead first, and when installing, install the negative lead last.

Most autoparts stores sell a adapter that plugs into the lighter socket, and on the other end you can attach a 9v battery. It should provide enough power to 'keep alive' the Radio while you swap out the battery.

If you're not having any trouble with the battery, I can't see a reason to replace it. In my 96 ex, the original Motorcraft battery lasted 8 years, and even then it would still start the truck on a 20 degree day, just not as strongly as a new battery.

Jason

Thanks for all the good input. I did use the 9 volt battery and all went well.
now we are off to the next great advenure.

JasonF said:
If you're not having any trouble with the battery, I can't see a reason to replace it. In my 96 ex, the original Motorcraft battery lasted 8 years, and even then it would still start the truck on a 20 degree day, just not as strongly as a new battery.

Jason

I second that. If it's a '02 than the battery is only about 4 years old and could easily last a couple more years.

Back