• Register Today It's free!

"Audiophile" Stereo?

rpr

Reaction score
City, State
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Just picked up my brand new 2006 Explorer Limited this evening. Black on black...beautiful truck!

One of my minor complaints is the stereo system. They call it a 290 watt audiophile system with a subwoofer. Well, it just doesn't cut it. I have an aftermarket system in my old 1997 Explorer I am thinking about using in the 2006 model (at least the speakers anyway which I believe should fit without any mods).

Any advice/thoughts on replacing the stock system with an aftermarket? Anybody know whether the 2006 audiophile system has a separate amp somewhere, or is it integral to the head unit? Any other advice/tips/warnings? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

will swap my radio/cd on my 2006 Eddie soon, have a little patience. I was a little dissapointed, too. But it was even planed swapping the device with a Sony 9950 + HC-1 Nav. Don´t know if a separate Amp. is built in, as if I guess it will be close to the s.w., will figure out soon. Guess the speakers are not so bad, on my ´99 SOHC the speakers are sounding much better since I swapped the radio with a "Blaupunkt"-CD/Radio w/ eq.

I'm going to "get into it" today, but I still don't really know what my plan is regarding the head unit, amp amd sub. The speakers are getting swapped (I have 6" x 8" JL Audio's).

One question (actually I have many but the others don't come into play unless this question is answered first). How do you remove the stereo from the dash??? The dash on the 2006 does not have the little holes on opposing sides of the radio like the older models so my Ford special radio removal tool appears to be useless.

Help!!!

Crizz: Wow! Thank you!!!

Right now my game plan is:

1) Keep the stock amp which reportedly only poweres the sub
2) Keep the sock sub
3) Keep the stock radio/head unit
4) Replace the stock speakers in the doors (with JL Audio's which I already have)
5) Connect my US Acoustics 4x85 aftermarket amp to power the front and rear JL Audio speakers (I will need to use a Line Output Converter to get RCA outs to the amp - my amp does not have speaker level inputs)

I don't suppose you would know where I could get a wiring color code explanation for the stock radio harness do you? My Ford dealer says they do not have access to the wiring code descriptions on the stock harness (which I find hard to believe).

You can easily figure out : disconnect the plug on the radiounit, check with a Multimeter where the powercords are. Then take a AAA-batt and a soldering iron and connect two cables on the batt´s contacts. Connect two wires with the AAA-contacts and listen where a speaker knocks. Repeat for each pair. Will have a look tomorrow on my poweradaptorcable and make a sketch where the speakers are connected at ( place on plug ). So, if you can wait a few hours this will help you a little more, k ?

Crizz: Thanks, but I figured out the wiring (I think).

My problem is now where do I put the amp. My US Acoustics USX4085 is rather large. It fit under the 2nd row bench seat in my 1997 Explorer, but its a no go under the 2nd row bench seat in the 2006 Explorer (the seat won't fully retract in "Cargo Mode").

I'm afraid this is not going to be as easy as I hoped. Any suggestions??? :(

Does anyone know who makes a harness for an aftermarket radio for the 06' Explorers? Also, I noticed the antenna is different on the 06'. Do they make an adapter for this, and if so who sells it?

yep, "Metra" is right. The pics elow shows the harness-connector and the dashmounting kit I got for my 2006 X´

HarnessAdapter.jpg

The wire-colors may different from the org.Ford wires, but guess you can see on the pic where they go.

HarnessConnect.jpg

Radio-kit.jpg

Crizz:

Got any pics of your aftermarket HU after install with the Metra dash mounting kit?

Still not sure what I'm going to do as I can't seem to find a place to mount/hide my aftermarker amp, but I would like to see the final results of your aftermarket installation (HU as well as amp, assuming you have both). Thanks!

HU is a device with built-in 4x52 watts amp, need no additional. But need to find a place for the nav.-unit ( Sony HC-1). Guess I´ll try to place it underneath the passenger seat, drivers seat is electric and no place left beyond.
Beyond glove compartment, should be a good place for added amps, or underneath the sec.rowseats ( where the floorspanel meets the backrest when you fold the seats forward, there I placed an add.amp on my 1st Gen.XLT ). But, I´m not sure if there´s enough room with the 2006, depending on size of your amp.

Will swap my radiounit this week as soon as I got the time 4 it, actually I´m waiting for my logdevice to be back from service. Need to install it, too, and don´t want to do the same work twice a time. ;)

Crizz,
Great info, I think I will link this to the "useful Threads forum" :thumbsup:

it´s a pleasure, Ray

Thanks Crizz,

Everything you posted works great. I got my Kenwood DDX 7017 in my 06' EX. I will post pics no later than Monday. :thumbsup:

Gentleman, it´s (nearly) done.

it took some hours today cause I haven´t had the positbility to get the right harnessadapter in time, and because of the weather the navigationunit waits to be installed later. I only swaped the HU and installed my driving log.

Whoever wants to connect the preinstalled subwoofer : it´s the 8-pin-connector on the radio ( right side ). Purple-Red cable is remote, black is sig.-gnd., the ohter two wires are the sig.-channels for the woofer-amp. Not really a big deal.

BTW : the 70-5520 adapter is only for non-amplified HU´s ( no aktive subwoofer ), the connects on the HU are different - it doesn´t fit on mine. Needed to change the wiring for ignition. For amplified the 70-5521 from Metra is recommended.

sony-he-001.jpg

Crizz,
Nice Job! I will post mine on Monday! It's looks nice and neat!

Here is my 2006 EX witha Kenwood DDX 7017.Thanks Crizz!!!

XDeacon-HU.jpg

that looks great - if I wouldn´t need this driving log, I would have placed a similar HU in mine.

Next will be swapping the speakers, just need better weather to check how to remove the door covers / panels ( actually its down in the 30´s and snow, and I have no garage where I could do this )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crizz: I'm in the same position...anxious to put my JL Audio's in, but it's in the 30's and snowing and I'm unsure how to get the door panels off. Good luck.

XDeacon: I have been looking at that HU, as well as the DDX 8017. Do you have nav also? Where did you get it and would you recommend the reseller you used? Price?

Back