2006 Audiophile Stereo questions (explorer EB) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Audiophile Stereo questions (explorer EB)

roveer

Reaction score
City, State
Morristown, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I have a few questions about my 2006 qudiophile stereo system in my EB Explorer.

1. Where are the door speakers amped? In the headunit or an amp located someplace else?

2. Where is the subwoofer split out from the 4 channels and amped?

3. Is the system tuned? Meaning are the front speakers only getting certain higher frequencies or the front's and rears only getting higher frequencies and the sub getting everything else, or are all the speakers getting full frequency? If so, where are the crossover's located?

4. If ford says 290w for the audiophile sound system, what is the wattage division? Meaning what speakers get what watts? My guess was 4x50 (doors) + 90 sub???

Thanks,

Roveer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Where are the door speakers amped? In the headunit or an amp located someplace else?
I don't think the stock system has an amp. When my amp was installed they never mentioned anything about a bypass kit.

2. Where is the subwoofer split out from the 4 channels and amped
The sub has a very small amp mounted next to it. If i remember correctly Its rated @ 100watts. I replaced the stock sub with a Rockford fosgate 8" and used the stock amp.

3. Is the system tuned? Meaning are the front speakers only getting certain higher frequencies or the front's and rears only getting higher frequencies and the sub getting everything else, or are all the speakers getting full frequency? If so, where are the crossover's located?
Only the front speakers are components. The crossover is built into the speaker housing. It has a small circuit board which i assume is doing the work of the crossover.

4. If ford says 290w for the audiophile sound system, what is the wattage division? Meaning what speakers get what watts? My guess was 4x50 (doors) + 90 sub???
I just looked at my rear speakers and the sub that are sitting in my garage. the rears are rated @ 25watts ea. The sub says 60W + 60W. I'm not sure what that means. I don't remember what the front speakers are rated at. I don't have them out. I put them in my 98.

Hope this helps

You post was Helpful thanks.

I had my front speakers out and they said 25w as well. My guess on the 60x60 on the sub is that it may be a dual cone sub??? Hopefully others will chime in and help us get to 290watts cause right now at 25x4=100+60x60=120 only equals 220. I thought we were heading to 290???

So if we only have 1 amp in the car then the radio is amping the door speakers? Was hoping that it wasn't as I've heard that putting amped output in to a Loc introduces noise. Was hoping it was something less than amped output.

If the crossovers are actually in the speakers then at least the radio puts out a full signal to all doors. How do your replacement speakers sound? Do you feel that you are getting full low to high signal in the front?

Still leaves me wondering where the signal splits off to drive the sub? Maybe off of the rear speaker output as they come back in the wire harness? The radio only has 4 outputs.

Now if this information is correct, then the JL Audio guy is incorrect telling me I need to use their summing device cl-ssl to bring split signals back together again. He was adamant that the 06 ford needed that device, but it doesn't make sense to me if the cross overs will be removed once the speakers are tossed.

Regards,

Roveer

If the crossovers are actually in the speakers then at least the radio puts out a full signal to all doors. How do your replacement speakers sound? Do you feel that you are getting full low to high signal in the front?

Yeah i had the Tweets remote mounted in the sail panels. Huge improvement in sound quality. I get great sound from the highs & lows. The highs are really Crisp. I just need to add a new amp for the sub to complete the set-up.

Any chance you can post some pics. Also, list your upgrade components. I'm interested in what you did. Really dissapointed that JL Audio missed the mark telling me I need their summing device (it's a few hundred bucks).

Thanks,

Roveer

sure, Ill take some pics in the morning.

the front speakers are a pair of 6-1/2" Boston Acoustics Pro60 components.
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=20&product_id=296

for the rears i put in a pair of good quality Pioneer 3-way's. Cant remember the model #'s of the top of my head.

All powered by a boston Acoustic GT-40 4 channel amp. Mounted under the rear passanger seat. (behind the drivers seat)
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=19&family_id=90&product_id=245

And i replaced the stock sub with a Rockford Fosgate 8" punch sub
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod..._id=31&family_id=9&item_id=91785&locale=en_US

Hey folks,

I posted at the bottom of the Audiophile Stereo thread. It's a pretty big post, but I like to make sure everyone understands my thinking. I'd be interested in everyone's comments. That thread was the best place to post because if my ideas are good then others can benefit from it. If my ideas stink, well then we all benefit from that too!!!

Here's the link:

Audiophile Stereo Thread

Roveer

here are some pics.
I wanted the tweeters flush mounted but unfortunately there is a support bracket right behind the sail panels that holds the door panel on so i didn't want to cut it out.

Attachments

• mini-DSC00868.JPG
    mini-DSC00868.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 501
  • mini-DSC00869.JPG
    mini-DSC00869.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 510

And here is a pic of the amp mounted under the back seat

Attachments

• mini-DSC00870.JPG
    mini-DSC00870.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 541

Bentey - The tweeters look really good. Are those the Boston Acoustics Neo tweeters? Where did you hide those oblong boxes that come with them (crossovers, I guess).
________
BMW K1100LT

wharriso said:
Bentey - The tweeters look really good. Are those the Boston Acoustics Neo tweeters? Where did you hide those oblong boxes that come with them (crossovers, I guess).

Thanks. I dont know about the tweeters. The crossovers are installed inside inside the door.

Hey Bentley,

What did you do in the rear doors? Did you just leave stock? I'm considering an upgrade to Z6's in the front doors and people are telling me not to waste teh money putting Z6's in the rear doors.

Also, what did you do with your Sub? Still stock or did you upgrade it?

Thanks,

Roveer

Hey Bentley,

What did you do in the rear doors? Did you just leave stock? I'm considering an upgrade to Z6's in the front doors and people are telling me not to waste teh money putting Z6's in the rear doors.

Also, what did you do with your Sub? Still stock or did you upgrade it?

Thanks,

Roveer

For the rears i originally was planning to put a second set of BA pro60. But i was talked out of it and just went with a set of good pioneer 3-way 6X8's. (hence my for sale thread)
I replaced the sub with a Rockford Fosgate 8" punch sub. Kept the stock amp for now.

Back