• Register Today It's free!

autotrac to 1354 swap ?

XLT_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
thunder bay ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
i hate my autotrac t case is there anyway that i can swap in a 1354 without screwing up any of the OBD stuff i.e. having it pull a t case code and then have the computer revert back to limp mode. also will it even fit ? it's going into a 95 explorer 4x4 4 door 4.0L.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump come on some one outthere has to have thought of this b4

Not sure, but the 1354 should be a bolt up thing. You'll prolly need a new front driveshaft, but I you shouldn't need the trans to t-case adapter (500+ dollars)

i'm about to do the same thing, and from what i've gathered... it bolts up perfectly, and the only down side is your 4wd drive lights start blinking, but no cel codes. oh... and you'll have to cut a hole in your floor for the shifter unless you want to get under the truck and shift it yourself each time. unless you go with an electric 1354 which are quiet common. but then you have to worry about getting the shift motor to work with control trac wiring. control trac = 3 positions(hi, neutral, low) and auto 1354 = 4 positions(2hi, 4hi, neutral, 4low)

the above is from my memory which sucks. its relatively correct i believe but theres no promises. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

get a 95 2wd computer and your 4wd light issues should be gone with the new t case. Might have to do some simple wiring to make the truck and trans think it is a 2wd.

410Fortune said:
get a 95 2wd computer and your 4wd light issues should be gone with the new t case. Might have to do some simple wiring to make the truck and trans think it is a 2wd.

i don't know if this will work for him, he had a '95 and i believe it has the disco front axle deal. when you swap t-cases, pull your current shift motor out, plug it in and zip tie it(fasten it) to the inside of your frame. when you manually shift your new t-case into 4WD you will also need to turn your dash knob to 4WD to engage your front axle also

I did it on my '96 (same as the '95). It bolts right in but Aric is correct. You'll need to buy the tranny tunnel plate with the t-case shift slot or, if you have the full length floor console (like me), you can cut the slot just to the left of the console. I used JDraper's Vacuum Disco Mod so I can control the front axle disconnect. I had the CommandTrac system and have left the dash switch in the "2WD" position (shift motor is disconnected). No flashing dash lights here. If you have the double cardan front d-shaft with the u-joint-to-yoke connection, you're all set.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions - Dave.

hey thanks for all the info guys i hate the command track POS where can i find JDraper's Vacuum Disco Mod ?????? i searched the forums and did not find anything.

one last question does the autotrac system when in 4 hi engage the front axle or t case when it senses slippage?

i called probly 20 junkyards, and only 3 or 4 told me they had one. and i went to one and they showed me a bunch of electronic ones. and everyone else wants 350-450 bucks so i'm not even gonna bother with them. this thing is like finding gold at the end of the rainbow. grrrr.... when i was researching this thing people kept saying they got theirs for 100-200 bucks... I WANT ONE!!!! grrr.... i'm angry.

bump does anyone if the computer shifts the t case or the front axle while in 4x4 hi

...?

the computer will send a larger amount of power to the transfer case to fully engage the electromagnetic thing-a-majigger, but i believe on the 95-97 models there was vacume hubs or something that the computer switches a solenoid or something to engage those. thats what i've picked up on from reading all of this 1354 swap info.

So i guess the answer to your question is both. but if you do the 1354 swap, you can ziptie the shift motor to the frame rail and trick the computer into thinking it is still controling everything, or you can figure out where the solenoid is and wire a switch to it. i think there is a thread on it somewhere on here. hope that helps?

yeah i got the front axle disconnect thing figured out i'm still kind of leary about taking the stock t case out seeing as how the bank owns more of my truck than i do lol i live in canada so i woiuld have to make a weather tight compartment for the shift motor i would really just like to take all control away from the computer and give it back to me

Back