Aviator: Discontinued

woodychitwn

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
I read a small article in Automobile Magazine last weekend saying that Lincoln has decided to discontinue the Aviator. Apparently sales didn't meet expectations. Has anyone else heard about this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this awhile back, if not, i know i've heard of it before

when people buy the lincoln, they want the big and flashy... otherwise, you just buy a mercury grand marquis, crown vic, or a expedition or explorer..... not the $$$$$ lincoln....

Yep, the Aviator is gone.

If you want one, nows the time. I had dinner up in Gaithersburg last night right next to a Lincoln dealer, $10,000 off all Aviators and they had about 40.

Lincoln just did a bad job with the vehicle, poorly excecuted when compared to the competition like the RX330, ML320 and X5. Even that new Volvo XC90.

Logistically, it wasn't a good idea to begin with. The Avaitor has literally no differences in comparison with the Navigator, other than size. If they wanted it to succeed, they needed to make it it's own model. They could've still pulled off the "little brother" aspect too.

Originally posted by Stephen
Yep, the Aviator is gone.

If you want one, nows the time. I had dinner up in Gaithersburg last night right next to a Lincoln dealer, $10,000 off all Aviators and they had about 40.

DAMN IT!!!!!!! I should have looked at that!!!! lol

Too late now Chuck lol

Its not even the little brother aspect, its that the Aviator was so cheap compared to the Navigator. They built the Aviator to a price, it was missing quality and features, even features the Explorers have, while the Navigator has everything, as does the Aviator's competition.

What features does the Explorer have that Aviators don't? I thought the Aviator have everything what the Explorer has, plus more. What about the prices of the '04s and '05s? Do you think they may add new features to help the sales in some way like a power liftgate?

I've spent most of my free time over the last two weeks examining the Aviator, Explorer Limited and the Mountaineer Premier. I was surprised at what isn't on the Aviator as compaired to the Exp Ltd and the Mountaineer. I'm picking up our new Mountaineer tomorrow.

That's interesting and probably true. However, you DO get an extra cam, weight, and ~62HP....

Its aliveeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw a commercial for the 'New' 2004 Aviator... whats up? When is it getting discontinued?

Its not getting the axe.

gggeeeeessshhh, somebody make up their mind

Originally posted by Garth
Its not getting the axe.

???

Where did you hear this? I am almost positive it is still going away.

Aviator won't be dropped
advertisement

Bob Golfen
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 11, 2003 12:00 AM

Despite reports to the contrary, there are no plans to ax Lincoln Aviator after the 2005 model year, according to Ford Motor Co., although the sport utility vehicle could undergo some changes.

Sales for Aviator have been growing month to month and the midsize SUV is on track to meet projections, said Sara Tatchio, a Lincoln-Mercury spokeswoman.

Slow early sales after the launch in November 2002 were a reflection of production problems, not consumer resistance, Tatchio said.

"We had a rocky launch, so they didn't get into showrooms in any volume until February," the spokeswoman said. "We're on track and doing well, and people love the vehicle."

Sales volume for the past three months was 2,684 for July, 2,904 for August and 3,213 for September, according to Ford, which would be on track for Aviator's projected sales of 35,000 per year.

The Detroit Free Press, quoting sources from Ford, the United Auto Workers and a parts supplier, reported in August that Aviator was being cut from the lineup after the 2005 model year. Automotive News, an industry newsletter, reported the same information, citing parts suppliers.

The Free Press said that only 15,164 Aviators were sold from November through July, which was well off the sales mark. The list price for the Aviator, $39,000 to $54,000, dropped $4,000 since November, the paper said.

But Tatchio said Ford is not cutting Aviator, a luxury version of Ford Explorer, though there could be some evolutionary changes after 2005.

"Every vehicle does its growing over time," she said. "The name (Aviator) is going to be part of the Lincoln showroom for the foreseeable future."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wouldn't make any sense for them to drop a vehicle before even a year has passed. Think of all the time and money they have invested into making the aviator and they're just gonna give up right away? Nah, it's gonna stick around for atleast a few more years.

Back