1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Battery, alternator or what.....

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by 2006GrayXLT, January 7, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 2006GrayXLT

2006GrayXLT New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2006 Explorer XLT
    On occasion my explorer starts slowly when it's cold. It starts as if the battery was dieing. I had the system tested at advance auto parts and the system tested good.

12.6v
    574 cca

Any thoughts where I should go next to get this issue resolved?

Side note will the information screen pop up an issue with the charging system if the car detects an issue?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    I’d suspect the battery first, but a failing battery is very hard on an alternator, and the other way around, as well.

Is it driven everyday?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rcflyer330

Rcflyer330 Active Member

City, State:
    Michigan
    2010 Ford Explorer XLT V6
    Stock motorcraft batteries are group 65 and should have 850 cca most likely a little more when tested. At 574 cca I would say its the battery. If the battery is 5 years old its probally time for a new one. Most batteries last at least 5 years but some only last 3 years. really expensive batteries can last longer maybe up to 10 years but thoes batteries are going to cost 300 to $500 dollars and are not needed unless you have the need for the extra power they can supply.

5. dacaur2

dacaur2 Active Member

City, State:
    eagle mountain
    2010 explorer XLT
    Cold weather reduces the amount of power a battery can put out. First sign of a failing battery is it cranks slower when its cold out. Intermittent at fist, but it will get worse over time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Omaha, NE
    06 Explorer Limited V-8
    My battery showed the correct CCA when I had it checked last. Matter of fact, the tech mentioned to me how strange it was that it rated so high for being over 5 years old. (It was a NAPA and was in the truck when I bought it,) Two weeks later it died in a parking lot while Christmas shopping.

Only batteries we use are Motorcraft. I've had them last 8-9 years. Around $170 installed at the dealer.

Might want to check your battery posts/cables for corrosion. Sometimes it's hidden in the cable jacket where it's not as easy to see.

You might be lucky it's giving you some warning with slow starts to replace the battery. My experience has been they work right up 'till the moment they don't.

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. digifoss

digifoss Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Grants, NM
    07 Explorer XLT
    I agree. I recently had to replace the short positive cable, battery to solenoid, on my 84' F150. The corrosion was hidden underneath the cable jacket making me suspect the battery at first.
    Also, check that the cable terminals that connect to the battery posts are clean and tight..

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. MNgopher

MNgopher Active Member

City, State:
    Lakeville, MN
    '07 XLT V8
    In my case, after checking out the battery, alternator, and cables, it turned out my starter was going bad. Turned out that was the cause of going through my last battery pretty quickly.

9. AKForce

AKForce New Member

09 Explorer 4.0
    I don't know what kind of temps you are dealing with, but we were having this issue here in AK. We found a 1050 cca battery and the thing starts up immediately even in severe negative temps. As long as the rest of the system (alternator, etc) is good, the cca seems to be the difference maker for us.

10. MotorCityFats13

MotorCityFats13 Active Member

City, State:
    Flatrock MI
    2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
    as soon as it gets colder than 15f mine starts to crank slower and when it was -15f it wouldn't start... the problem I have is the system starts charging at 14.4 and starts dropping as the engine gets warmer and stabilizes around 13.5 with lights and heat on so its killing my $225 AGM causing it to have a resting voltage below 12.2... and as soon as the system sees 9.9vdc it throws that stupid airbag code and beeps for 30 years!