• Register Today It's free!

Best axle to use for SAS

94ZebraRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Laramie, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
I am looking at doing a SAS on my 95 Explorer. What is a good front axle to use for it. I have seen guys using bronco & F-100 axles. I want something fairly strong as I am going to eventualy do a V-8 swap. It needs to be able to have a selectible locker, installed. My goal is to run atleast 35s. Other option would be the Superlift 6" lift if it would fit 35s. I don't think a selectible locker is available for the front D-35 IFS.

Thanks

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

D44 is a good choice, relatively cheap (compared to the stronger d60), many parts and upgrades avaliable. I'm using a 79 HP D44, and a 9", leaving them full width (around 66" wms-wms).

44s would be ok for now, but if you plan on upgrading go f+r 9in or d60.

i believe a d30 from a ch(j)eep could be made to run 35's very well

I really like the waggoneer 44 that I am using. It is about 61"s wide so it will fit an explorer very nice. Only bad side is that it is low pinion. Basically there are 5 choices for axles

1. 66-77 early bronco axle. 66-71 was a dana 30 (boat anchor) 72-77 was a dana 44. low pinion people also think they are made of gold.

2. 73-79 f150 or 78-79 bronco axle. Dana 44 high pinion but pretty wide axle

3. 87-present YJ,TJ,XJ dana 30 axle. Can be found cheap. Tjs are low pinion the others are hig pinion. But it is a dana 30 and has no hubs.

4. 1982-1991 jeep wagonner axle. Might be off a year or two but it is a driver drop low pinion dana 44 good width match up to a ranger/explorer

5. Custom axle. you name it it is possible. Probably the most expensive route but you get what you want.

Look at everyones SAS on the board and see what you like and dont like.

Question: Low pinion/high pinion means location, correct

Tim

means if the the pinion is above or below the center line of the axle. Hi pinion will help keep the driveshaft out of the rocks and hi pinion gears in a front axle are a little stronger then low pinion in afront axle. Has nothing really to do with weather the diff is on teh pasaanger side or not. however most hi pinion axles happen to be driver drop.

Hi Pinions do tend to be alittle stronger also. I would not go with a d30 hi or low, you'd end up spending more money making it stronger than a good d44 would cost.

hi pinion usually means reverse rotation. reverse rotation is apparently 30% stronger in a front axle. but d44 low or high, i dont think you have to worry about braking the ring and pinion. D44 low pinion axles are considered as strong as a dana 30 high pinion axle in a front axle.

Robb said:
reverse rotation is a commonly used, yet completely incorrect, term. :D

reverse cut

Back