• Register Today It's free!

blower relay keeps melting

CTroxtell

Reaction score
City, State
High Point Area, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EB 304k and counting
Okay I fixed my a/c a while back and since then ir has melted the relay for the blower motor 2 times counting today. It melts the plastic on the relay around contact 87 on the relay, its got hot enough that it has melted a little bit of the relay box. I had it blowing on high if that makes any difference.

I just had this same issue. First, go to a ford dealer and buy the relay from them. Its 15 bucks but it makes all the difference. And second, Im assuming its the bottom pin on yours thats melting??? If so, take a pair of pliers and put a small twist in that bottom pin, so it bites the socket tighter when you plug it back in.

Yeah, that's rights, its the very bottom pin that keeps melting. Also I don't have a low setting on my blower, the switch has 5 selections including off but the one closest to off don't make it blow. Okay I will try that and see if it works.

ok you might also dig into the relay box and make sure the wire connection is not heat damaged. Look for a bad crimp on the lug.

Also, the blower motor resistor might have something to do with this, since your low setting does not work it may be drawing too much current.

The blower resistor is an easy fix.

And, you want to check the blower itself. Make sure it spins free. If it is too tight it will draw an excess current also. Something is going on and it isn;t just the relay--the relay is acting like it should, and warning you of an issue going on deeper in the circuit.

Back