• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor Wiring

James Shewey

Reaction score
City, State
Antioch, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford F-150
I'm getting a P0340 code on my '99 F150 v6 4.6 liter engine. Reading these forums, I know that this isn't all that uncommon. I know Rock Auto has the part for about 16 bucks and if I replace it I will need an OTC 6469 Camshaft Sensor Synchronizer Tool and that it could also be the voltage regulator on the alternator, but I started with testing the wiring. The sensor on this truck is a 3-wire hall effect sensor. Pin 1 appears to be ground and pin 2 looks to be the signaling wire. Pin 3 should be the power. The thing is, I'm getting some partial continuity between pins 1 and 3 with both the CPS sensor and the PCM disconnected. This makes me think I probably have a short somewhere between these two wires, which could explain the code. I'd like to try replacing the power wire, but I'm not sure where it goes!

According to Autozone: http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c15280250d60 it should connect to the power relay. Is that accurate? Where would I find that? Is it normal to have some continuity between these two pins? It seems to drop to no continuity the longer I keep my testing meter connected, so it doesn't seem to be a full short...

Back