• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor

98'Explorer XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I recently bought a '98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC with the check engine light on.
I noticed that it was a little rough at idle and that the RPM's spiked just a bit upon starting usually around 2000 RPM's for about 4 seconds, then it comes back down to normal. I took it and had the codes read. It came back with 3 seperate problem codes:

P0340- Camshaft Position Sensor
P0300- Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0174- System too Lean

I've researched the codes a bit & found that all three may be related to each other. My proposed fix to the problem is replacing the Camshaft Position Sensor as well as performing a good tune up: new plugs and plug wires, fuel filter and air filter.

I have a couple of questions.

1.) Do you think that this is what's causing the check engine light and the rough idle?
2.) Where exactly is the Camshaft Position Sensor? I know it is on the camshaft, but have no idea as to where to look for it. A picture would be greatly appreciated.
3.) Do you think that this will fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips you all might be able to provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is on the left hand valve cover it has 2 wires coming out of it and I belive only has one 8mm bolt holding it on
Nate

I came across mine when I was replacing my ignition coil. It's right beneath, dead center. If you remove your coils, you should see it below. Mine had 2 little bolts. I had already bought the replacement, not knowing where it would go, but when I came across it, I knew what it was because I had something to compare it to.

Do you guys think that replacing the sensor will fix the rough idle and misfire??

I just finished replacing my timing chain tensioners and guides and after putting everything back together I am left with a wire that I can't find a home for. It originates behind the thermostat housing and is about 15 inches long. It is a two prong plug with a wire retaing clip just like the one that goes to the camshaft positioning sensor. It's the only other wire that I came across that had the metal retaining clip. Does anyone know where this goes??? Thanks

It's the only other wire that I came across that had the metal retaining clip. Does anyone know where this goes??? Thanks
Crankshaft position sensor, near the crankshaft pulley, passenger side.

Ditto, I thought you had the crank wires, and were looking for the camshaft sensor. Good,

Back