can lucas transmission fix fix my flashing od lamp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can lucas transmission fix fix my flashing od lamp?

pilotmogge

Reaction score
City, State
Sollefteå, Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
My overdrive light starts flashing after some miles on the highway. I cant notice any significant errors in the trannys function. It changes gears correctly according to me, and when lamp goes on driving on the highway i cant really detect an increase in revs. Tranny sounds and works fine as far as i can tell. I've Been looking around this forum and found a lot of threads about this blinking light. Seems that my transmission might need an overhaule on the od servo and/or the solenoid pack. But, since i cant determine any other misfunction i wonder if i could refreshen the gaskets and buy time with an appropiate rekommended additive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

additives, especially lucas wont help, i'd have a complete trans service done, and take it to a shop so they can do a diagnosis( free at aamco.) i personally prefer either the ford mercon, or AMSOIL SS ATF

My overdrive light starts flashing after some miles on the highway. I cant notice any significant errors in the trannys function. It changes gears correctly according to me, and when lamp goes on driving on the highway i cant really detect an increase in revs. Tranny sounds and works fine as far as i can tell. I've Been looking around this forum and found a lot of threads about this blinking light. Seems that my transmission might need an overhaule on the od servo and/or the solenoid pack. But, since i cant determine any other misfunction i wonder if i could refreshen the gaskets and buy time with an appropiate rekommended additive.

The flashing light means that the computer has seen a problem with the transmission and stored a code. You should start by retrieving the trouble codes stored in the computer. I would recommend stopping by a shop that can get the codes and give you some direction on repairs. Based on your description of when the light comes on I would think the issue is going to be with the converter. The codes you may end up with might be something like P0741 or P0740, these are converter codes. The vehicle will seem to drive fine, because the converter engagement can be difficult to detect if your not sure what to look for.

The repair for this kind of problem could be with the converter itself or pump and or valve body, most shops will want to do a rebuild to address all these areas and some other issues this trans is known for.

Additives in my opinion are a wast of money and time, they can cause other issues like leaks.

Well I bought this -99 just a couple of days ago, so I havent yet gotten into Everything about how the car and transmission works and the flaws that I might hav gotten with it.

Yesterday I Went for a Little testdrive on the highway, and this is what happend:
I accelerate steadily and all the shifts kick in pretty nice as far as I can judge. I can follow the process on the tach as i see it drop for each gear. Now, as I reach 60mph I release a lttle on the throttle and engage Cruise Control. Tach reads 2200rpm and when adding a Little throttle I can see the tach increase by a couple of hundred revs, and same happends in Cruise Control and a slight incline comes ahead.
Somehow this tells me that the lock-up hasn't kicked in properly. In these cases the O/D light surely starts blinking after some miles.
However - and this is somewhat interesting: In some of the testruns I did, the lock-up seems to kick in properly, because in those cases the tach dropped to 2000rpm cruising 60 mph, and engine revs are quite steady no matter a small incline or adding some throttle, I mean engine and transmission seem to be mechanically hooked up, as they're supposed to do. In this situation the O/D lamp isn't coming on blinking. In non of the cases I get the check engine light to go on.
Conclusion?? It seems to me that the converter doesnt lock up properly, but not in all the times as it seems to work fine in some of the cases.
I know I should get the codes read, but haven't gotten that far yet.
I'm planning to buy my own reader, since the shops charge a lot just to do a readout and in some cases dont even seem to know what to do with the outcome!
Any good advice on a deacent reader that can manage Explorers/Ford brand specific codes, preferrably available here in Europé?

I also wonder if a cheap Bluetooth reader can do the job, Reading brand specific codes into eg. a pc or android phone? I'm thinking "Torque". Can that software together with a cheap bluethooth reader be all that I need?

Mogge

Hmmm.. weird!
Today I did some more testrides on the highway.
In none of the runs I got the TC to lock up!
I accelerated to 50-60 mph and let go of the pedal and revs dropped but only to around 2200 rpms and no indication of locked TC, the tach needle reacted to throttle when gently applied with no change in speed. Finally after a couple of short runs the O/D light greeted me with a familiar blinking.
Strange, cause the other day I did the same runs and then I got TC lockup all the time.
Cant wait to get OBD codes out of it so I can determine whats a probable cause and how go on with this. I really hope its an fault that can be fixed without lowering or replacing the tranny.... that might cost more than the vehicle is actally Worth...

Mogge

The torque converter only locks when crusing with light throttle. It unlocks when you leave off the throttle and also if you tap the brake pedal.
Your trans is a 5R55E, it is a 5 speed, plus lockup torque converter.
Yes get the code read.

OK Pop, so one could say that the 5r55e is 5 gears with the TC lockup as a sort of 6th gear? Didnt know that, thought lockup was "the 5th gear".
Also didnt know that TC unlocks when leaving of the pedal.

Does that mean that to ensure lockup from around 50-60mph I shouldnt ease of the throttle all the way, but just a Little as if inducing a standard "upshift by pedal" ??

But - does this also mean that if I let go of the pedal to "idelling" at lets say 80mph, and the TC lockup releases, and I then apply a certain amount of throttle back on again the lockup should kick back in??

Mogge

Yes, it should lock back up. You still need to get the code read as there is a problem.
Lock up can occur in 3rd, 4th, and 5 speed. When in 5th it can occur any time after about 50 MPH.

Pop, lockup not only in 5th, but even in 3rd and 4th? Thats news To me, but sounds logical. However, as today I haven't noticed a single lockup for several days. Couple a days ago it ran really nice and locked all day long at least at 5th, but now it seems to have passed out totally. Haha, not even a blinking od lamp... All other functions seems and hears to work without the slightest twitches, slips or flares. I'm waiting for my cheap Bluetooth scanner, hopefully it would give me some hints of how to approach hereafter. I'm thankful for all you guys generous support!

Mogge

Bye the way, is there a suitable thread here were I can read about and learn about the trannys basic functions? Good to know I think for understanding and dig deeper in these kind of issues.

Mogge

Yes, it should lock back up. You still need to get the code read as there is a problem.
Lock up can occur in 3rd, 4th, and 5 speed. When in 5th it can occur any time after about 50 MPH.

I can't dispute this for 5R55E, but my 5R55S (2004) only locks up TC clutch after achieving 5th gear. Calling for additional power encountering an upward slope under constant throttle, TCC unhooks first, then if still inadequate to maintain vehicle speed, 5th. drops to 4th.

I imagine PCM could be programmed in various ways, depending on vehicle? imp

If thats a fact that 5r55e only locks up i 5th gear, is it possible to reprogram PCM to use Lockup more often in order to lower rpm and increase mpg?
If so, how is it done, can it be done with an ordinary OBD II reading device?

Mogge

I tried yesterday to retrieve codes with my elm 327 Bluetooth scanner and Torque Pro.

Not a single errorcode whatsoever, not even when O/D light is actually flashing.
Software/scanner seems to work otherwise, a lot of data is presented. I took a 40miles testride and in main part of the cases the TCC locked up as it should do, cruising both around 30-35 and 50-55 mph. But for some reason sometimes lockup doesnt kick in, lets say in 25% of the cases. in those cases often the O/D lamp starts blinking at the Point when TCC lockup shoud be expected, but sometimes it doesnt do even that.

And I almost feel that a more powerful acceleration up to 55-60mph or more followed by a slow throttle release to cruising makes it "easier" for tranny to lockup.

With so many depending parameters, and involved Components Im still hoping for a cheaper solution than a removal and expensive overhaul. I cant get out of my head that its actually working except for in around 25% of the cases.

PCM reset? In order to get the pcm to re-learn drive patterns?

And what about oil-flush? Or electrical bad Connections or faulty sensors?
Its a shame that I cant present any error codes!

It sounds like your converter is failing to engage and IF it does then it is slipping under a load(eg: an incline). To read the codes from the 02-05 explorer you will need to be able to read TRANSMISSION codes that are proprietary to ford. I assume it's the same for a 99? I know of one program that once purchased (with the ford add on for extra $$) will allow your elm device to read those transmission codes through a computer. Here is a link to their webpage that shows their different programs and their features http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/feature_comparison.php
I know when my 2002 started slipping I tried adjusting the bands. This fixed my problem for about 4 months. now im going to try the modified servo bore fix. The info on adjusting your bands can be found here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158160&highlight=transmission
Good luck!

I do not understand how band adjustments can affect a torque converter clutch. As I said, the TCC in my '04 is programmed to ONLY engage when the transmission has achieved 5th gear. Any demand for more power results first in DISENGAGEMENT of the TCC, them, if that is inadequate to satisfy the computer, it downshifts out of 5th gear to 4th, the TCC remaining unlocked.

At cruise, any release of the gas pedal UNLOCKS the TCC. Bringing the gas pedal SLOWLY back into play, the eng. rpms will increase gradually, and the TCC will lock on the way up. If throttle is more than gradual, rpms will climb above TCC locked-in level, then TCC will lock in as rpms gradually drop back down due to less throttle demand. Sound complicated? In reality, it's not. Putting it into words is the tricky, misleading part! imp

The dreaded code P0741 detected!

Ok, finally I got my hands on a software that could manage Ford transmission error codes, thank you Cgray for your advice.

And IMP, thank you for your experienced inputs, I totally agree with you about how the TC lockup works, with the exception that my -99 actually goes into lock up at above 30 mph aswell.

Now, where do I go from here?
Code P0741 stored in the computer, and Reading the service manual for my 5R55E it actually means too much slippage in the TC. That makes sence, because if PCM got all input sensor values right and decides to go order the TC into lock up mode, and the TC for some reason does not, then there should be an error reported due to differences in revs in the TC, right?

Question remains, why doesnt the TC lock, what Components can fail in the chain of command?
Its Worth to mention, that I might see a trend: There are times in early mornings in Cold weather and Cold oil when TC locks up pretty good after 30mph. But not as a rule, but as a trend. Internal leakage? Broken VB gasket?
On the other hand, there are Days when it works fine even in warm Environment and fully warmed up conditions aswell.

How much may oil status/quality impact for this function?
After talking to previous owner he wasn't that sure any longer about if and when oil was changed, and not even if so, how much and what kind of oil that was used.

So many factors....
I sure need experienced advice here!

Mogge

The flashing light means that the computer has seen a problem with the transmission and stored a code. You should start by retrieving the trouble codes stored in the computer. I would recommend stopping by a shop that can get the codes and give you some direction on repairs. Based on your description of when the light comes on I would think the issue is going to be with the converter. The codes you may end up with might be something like P0741 or P0740, these are converter codes. The vehicle will seem to drive fine, because the converter engagement can be difficult to detect if your not sure what to look for.

The repair for this kind of problem could be with the converter itself or pump and or valve body, most shops will want to do a rebuild to address all these areas and some other issues this trans is known for.

Additives in my opinion are a wast of money and time, they can cause other issues like leaks.

Still thinking it will have to come out and be rebuilt with all the trouble areas addressed.

You could replace the valve body with a rebuilt one, like from Central Valve Bodies, it will cost a couple hundred bucks. If that doesn't fix the problem it has to come out and be rebuilt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you guys for your wise thoughts!

The plot thickens....-but the oil doesn't.
I've emtied several tanks of gas just to map for myself how the tranny should work. And it sure does at some occations, and all of a sudden it doesnt lockup in other cases.
As I mentioned Before, I Think I detected a trend:
First thing in the morning, when weather is a Little Cold, it seems to be far more eager to lock up than after a while when oil has heated up. Often same thing after work Cold starting and on my way home.
That tells me that it should be something related with hydraulics. perhaps a Cold thicker oil seals a Little better than when it gets warmer and a Little thinner. Maybe internal leakage due to worned valves, gaskets or sealings. I might of course be a faulty/worned solenoid aswell.

Can my oil be of the wrong kind or so old in that matter that it can affect my TCC lock up like this? Somehow I feel that in that case even other functions should be affected.
But maybe in combination with for instance a worned out solenoid or a valve maybe...

Anyway, Im leaning towards your suggestion Pop, chances are good that replacing the VB might just be the thing for me. It gives me new valves, gaskets and solenoids over all.

Back