can't remove rear diff drain plug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can't remove rear diff drain plug

jrguzmanr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer 4.0
I was able to lossen the fill plug on my rear diff, but I have been struggling for an hour with the drain plug, can I just pump out the old oil thru the fill plug and then pump in the new oil?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can I believe, I have never done it but I believe I have seen it done.
The way I did it when I had a problem was to use a jack on the breaker bar. Pump it up a little bit, it will lift the vehicle just a bit, let it settle back down and do it again. Just do it slowly and be safe.
Worked for me.
Good luck.
Smart move doing the fill before the drain, so many people are stuck because they can't get the fill out after draining the Diff.

I did it with the pump The most difficult part was getting the hose to the bottom of the diff to get most of the fluid out. This was much better than struggling wth the plug :)

Next week the transfer case!

The only thing about trying really hard to remove that plug is alum. has been known to have plugs seize up and crack the plate instead of giving loose. So be very careful, I think I am going to pump mine out instead of playing with the plug if it is even very tight at all. Good luck though.
Stu

I used my impact gun. It came off just fine with it. I couldn't budge it by hand though. I would remove the plug so that you can get everything out & inspect the gears. Remember to use fully synthetic gear oil. Also use a friction modifier if you have a limited slip rear end.

Mine was tough to move too, I had to use my leg to push on the breaker bar while gripping the left rear tyre for leverage. (Vehicle was on the ground when I did this)

mine was super hard to break loose, just start spraying it with liquid wrench 3 times a day for a few days, then get under there with a nice big breaker bar and it will come loose no problem. I laid flat on the ground and put the breaker bar directly above me (like bench pressing) and that worked good.

I used my impact gun.

I would be careful about using any air tools on an aluminum diff cover its better off just waiting a few days to let some penetrating oil get in there instead of risking cracking something.

I did it with the pump The most difficult part was getting the hose to the bottom of the diff to get most of the fluid out. This was much better than struggling wth the plug :)

Next week the transfer case!

Just a warning since it just happened to me but when you put the transfercase drain plug back in just lightly tighten it, around 12-15ft-lbs. I spent several days last week sealing my transfercase up because it cracked due to the drain plug being over torqued.

An impact won't hurt anything. You will actually have less of a chance of hurting anything with an impact versus using a pipe & all of your might. You don't need to set it at 500 FT lbs of torque, just set it on a lower setting & let the tool slowly do the work.

I have broken bolts with a cheater pipe while an impact has worked them loose without damage.

mine was super hard to break loose, just start spraying it with liquid wrench 3 times a day for a few days, then get under there with a nice big breaker bar and it will come loose no problem. I laid flat on the ground and put the breaker bar directly above me (like bench pressing) and that worked good.

The plug has LockTite on it from the factory, so you would be much better served to use a little heat from a torch since penetrating oil does not do a whole lot against the red stuff.

Just a LITTLE heat from a propane torch was all mine needed to loosen the loctite/sealer.

when i removed mine there was no evidence of locktite, in fact there was a little old nasty teflon tape on it, and i know for a fact the previous owner didn't remove the plug.

when i removed mine there was no evidence of locktite, in fact there was a little old nasty teflon tape on it, and i know for a fact the previous owner didn't remove the plug.

They never used teflon tape from the factory, so someone had been into it.

The plug has LockTite on it from the factory, so you would be much better served to use a little heat from a torch since penetrating oil does not do a whole lot against the red stuff.

I am planning on doing mine in a week or so. I was wondering whether removing the plug whiles the differential is hot, say immediately after driving for a extended period of time would achieve a similar effect.

Thanks

I am planning on doing mine in a week or so. I was wondering whether removing the plus whiles the differential is hot, say immediately after driving for a extended period of time would achieve a similar effect.

Thanks

It certainly cannot hurt...but it should not be too hot to begin with.

mine has the teflon tape as well and i cant get it off thanks for the info here helps alot

tryed the jack trick still no luck next step is heating it i guess just need to buy a torch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd be careful, i would hate to crack it. I found the jiffy lubes will siphon it out for $20 and fill it with what every you bring in 75-140w, if you have LSD you need the Ford additive imo. cheaper than a used diff.

Back