Coilover conversion/ 5r55e question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coilover conversion/ 5r55e question

Chasethexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
1st I was searching the coilover conversion threads, and saw that the brackets that people were buying moved the lower mount out of the way of the CV joint so so that it would work on a 4WD. I have a 2WD and was wondering if it seemed possible to mount the coilover in the stock shock mounts since i don't have any CV joints in the way.

2nd I have and Sct x cal 3 tuner and was wondering if it would be possible to somehow eliminate the 2nd gear shift and just go straight from 1st to 3rd, since the 5r55e has a simulated 2nd gear. I just hate the super close ratios of 1st 2nd and 3rd, causing a lot of unnecessary shifting, and also the fact that i figured it would be better on the trans since 2nd used overdrive and the fact that it uses a band.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes the mounts bolt to the stock locations... as for a 2wd same thing applies... suspension is all the same except with a 2wd you have a little more play on how much travel you have. unfortunately the mounts are very difficult to come by... they dont make them anymore... i got very lucky as did some others. you can fab them up if you find the blueprints. but other than that people are waiting on other people who are waiting for other people who are waiting on other people to make them. as for the tranny idk. someone can fill in on that

Ok thanks I for some reason thought that the brackets were used to move the coilover out of the way of the CV but then I realized that the mounts are totally different. I guess I will just have to wait until someone starts making them or something, thanks.

Shooter, got any good close-up pics of your c/o setup?

Idk if I have any on here or not. I post 2 or 3 pics up of the rig every few weeks then I forget how to post them. Lol

Back