Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cruise Control Issue

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Rombot, June 20, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Rombot

Rombot New Member

City, State:
      Gilbert, AZ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Explorer Sport
      I have a '16 Sport with going on 8500 miles on it now.

I just recently took a drive into the mountains over the weekend and ran into an issue w/ my cruise control.

I set my cruise for 73mph and for the most part had no issues... during a span of about 5 miles though my cruise control let off the gas going up hill, twice. I noticed a drop of speed and my cruise speed indicator now dull, instead of lit as normal.

Both times I had to re-engage my cruise control. Following the second time, however, it worked as normal.

Any ideas on what may have happened?

Thanks all!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. sheltonfilms

sheltonfilms Active Member

City, State:
      Hoover, AL
      2013 Limited 3.5L
      Could be related to this (page 211 in owners manual):

"Note: Cruise control disengages if the vehicle speed decreases more than 10 mph (16 km/h) below the set speed while driving uphill."

4. Rombot

Rombot New Member

City, State:
      Gilbert, AZ
      2016 Explorer Sport
      Ah thanks for this. I obviously missed that info during my initial skim of the manual.

I wonder why this type of feature is built in... If the speed is dropping on cruise control, why doesn't it just throttle up? It also wasn't like these hills were particularly steep also.

5. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
      Memphis tn
      you're supposed to save gas and slow down anyway. :hammer:

real reason - probably a backlash from the unintended throttle nonsense with toyotas. Since then I could see the throttle by wire systems (and by extension the cruise control) only allowing so much uncommanded throttle input as a limitation.

Liability and other nonsense it's safer to just turn the light off and make you put the pedal down.

I could also see a flavor of - if towing we don't want to overtax without operator input. so might as well just put a limit in place and beyond that drop out the cruise control.