Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even by adjusting the contrast/brightness and even some others I still cannot get the dummy lights to show.I guess I'm just going to put the stock ones back in and not worry about it even though I think it would be cool to put your own pics on there.Thanks for all the help..
Mike

My fuel reset is between tach and seedo(top) ,door ajar is to the left of the fuel gauge , check enigine is to the left of batt gauge. The check gage is top right of temp gauge.I have no check susp light. Thanks for all of the help..
Mike

I have a question about all of this. If you use a different font, then how does the light get through all of it, becuase aren't the originals set in a certain font? What does the lighting look like underneath the stock faces?

Update... I found it nevermind. :rolleyes:

Hey Harry, I'd be interested in finding out if you ended up using the transparent or the solid black background for the x in the final.

Anyone have the template for a '92? If not I'll scan mine later this week.

ok hope they show up this time. i havent acctually printed them out, it is just a photoshop job.

day:
36155667aZstaz

night:
36155686TSpIJy

what you think

Hartman or anyone else who has red needles as opposed the to stock one, where did you get them?? I have white face gauges and I really want the red ones b/c I dont like the way the stock ones look. Thanks guys
Gary

I used a red sharpie to color the top of the needles

Does anyone have guages scanned for a 95-97 US model Explorer?? I've got the Canadian ones to play around with, but they look a little different than the ones in my truck and I'm not savvy enough with Photoshop to swap speedos and tachs (and mine has a redline I want to keep). So, are there any scanned copies of the US 95-97 guages someone could send me??

Also, would any of you Photoshop gurus mind writing up a short set of instructions for Photoshop newbies to follow?? :D Or do you know of somewhere that I could learn the basics, if the basics are all that are necessary to make my guages? Any help will be appreciated.

Well I really need to spend more time on the Sport Truck section. I have to admit that this is some great information! :bounce:

I would like merge this thread and the other thread about the paper gages. so we can keep all this wonderful information together. Also are one of you gurus going to do a writeup and put this in the projects forum for all to see? This stuff is great! :bounce:

Now I have to go find some good pictures!

Rough scan from Harry...

Harry,
That looks good except for the "dummy light" to the left of the Batt. gauge.On mine it is "check enigine".Other than that it looks right.Thanks for the help.
Mike

Well I've test installed a prototype set in an extra gauge cluster. It looks OK in the daylight but iffy at night.

Dead Link Removed

The picture is blury and I only had one "yellowish" stock 194 bulb to fab in the cluster. I'm going to try a white 194 LED bulb soon to improve the colors.

Also, there's too much light coming thru the background so I may have to put another black layer or paint the back of the bottom layer to cut out the light where I don't want it.

I tried to make the fuel gauge a "slip on" but it's letting way too much light leak through. I guess in the end, the needles will have to come off.

Dead Link Removed

Harry,
Looks great.
Thanks again for the help.
Mike

Ok, I looked at the how to link, but I guess I'm not quite smart enough here..... i have a 98 Sport and I just want White face guages, nothing else. How would I do this? Thanks guys

On edit, I have Adobe Photoshop elements, but I have no clue how to use it. If somebody does a set of guages that will work on a 98 sport please post them or send me the file @ Magicfan25@aol.com

Harry, did you use the transparency paper or the printed black paper for the background?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mainfraim-

The black sheet and the transparency are both for the bottom sheet. I printed 2 test sheets because I didn't know which one would make the colors of the letters and numbers come out better at night.

With the transparency sheet on the bottom, the letters and numbers look good but the light shines thru the rest of the background.

With black printed on regular paper, the letters and numbers are reduced in brightness but the light doesn't shine through the background.

:fire: Still working on it.

Back