Defective second row seat seatbelt configuration. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Defective second row seat seatbelt configuration.

I have owned 92, 03, 07, and now a 11 explorer and have never had any problems sitting in any of the seats. That's right, every time I have bought one, I have made a point of climbing in and sitting with belts in every seat in the vehicle. Mainly because I was curious how comfortable it was, but also because I wanted to know how it would do for other people. I'm running 265lbs and am 6'4" and while I wouldn't want to do a trip for more than 2 hours in the 3rd row at my size, many of my smaller friends have.

I will concede that if you have two car seats in the middle row on the sides, the middle seat is impossibly tight. However, I blame this on the mammoth size they are making kids car seats these days. The carriers aren't so bad, the upright seats are ok, but once you get to booster seats it gets pretty crazy.

As others have said, what do you expect at this point? Really ask yourself if you plan on having any resolution to this? Your only play is to break the lease, try to wiggle out of it with the dealer because of the seats, pay the penalty, whatever. Then curse Ford and go by an expedition, Yukon, MDX or something.

Just for kicks though, let's take a look at a photo here and discuss:

Here is your rear seat:

2012-Ford-Explorer-Rear-Seat-view.jpg

Obviously the seat in the middle is very narrow. However, I always smile when folks (yes, 3 in a row) get in the seat and close the door and squish in waiting for the door to hit them and it doesn't. They are amazed at how much room is on the outside near the doors and they have room to spread out their arms, etc.

Back to your issue: When you say sitting on the buckle, are you talking about sitting on the plastic covers for the mounts where the bottom hits the back or the actual buckle with the red button to put the clip in. If it is the plastic part, your not supposed to be sitting on those. You ass is supposed to be slightly forward of those and they are in the natural airspace around the small of your back. Unless your strapped into the seat like an Apollo astronaut, I'm not sure how you could have 100% contact of your entire body from your hamstrings to your shoulder blades.

If you are talking about the distance between the red button buckles, I think you should do a test. Starting at one side of the vehicle, measure the distance from the side of the leather to the red button buckle. Then between the two red button buckles. then from the red button buckle to the side of the leather on the third seat. You would have measure your way across the vehicle. I bet all three dimensions are very close, if not exact.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Photo question

I have a similar problem as Shermtime. With a Britax car seat, rear facing in the middle, the driver's side passenger seat belt latch is not accessible. Looking at your photo, how in the hell did you get the driver's side passenger seat belt latch to come out 5 inches? On my 2012 Limited, with inflatable belts, it is fixed, rigid and half an inch lower than the seat. If you latch the driver's side rear passenger belt in, the distance between that rigid belt and the middle seat belt latch is less than 10 inches. Is there a seat belt extender installed in your photo?

Just a photo I found on the internet. The OP didn't have a problem with car seats, I kinda brought it up. However, now that you mention it, the seatbelt latch doesn't come out too far like you said. I have found the best method is to run the belt through the car seat while the car seat is pulled forward and I can access the latch. Then I move the car seat back where it should be and start tightening the seatbelt.

I wish I knew how to post a picture with my response. I took some pics of me sitting in the middle with the left passenger seat belt latched. Even with my rear completely covering the left seat belt latch, the ride side of my body covers both the middle and right side seat belt latches. I'm 5'10", 180, with 35in waist. I know the nay sayers on this site are going to immediately respond, try losing some weight. Easier said than done. My wife who is 5'2", 110, doesn't fit there either. So the problem still exist. It is almost impossible to fit 3 normal sized adults in the middle without the middle seat belt latch digging into your behind. Those that don't have this problem with the inflatable belts, is it because your seat belt latches come out or have some ability to extend out? Mine are fixed and stick out no higher than the leather. When you latch the left and right inflatables, you effectively create an area only 10 in wide.

I wish I knew how to post a picture with my response. I took some pics of me sitting in the middle with the left passenger seat belt latched. Even with my rear completely covering the left seat belt latch, the ride side of my body covers both the middle and right side seat belt latches. I'm 5'10", 180, with 35in waist. I know the nay sayers on this site are going to immediately respond, try losing some weight. Easier said than done. My wife who is 5'2", 110, doesn't fit there either. So the problem still exist. It is almost impossible to fit 3 normal sized adults in the middle without the middle seat belt latch digging into your behind. Those that don't have this problem with the inflatable belts, is it because your seat belt latches come out or have some ability to extend out? Mine are fixed and stick out no higher than the leather. When you latch the left and right inflatables, you effectively create an area only 10 in wide.

See, I don't have the inflatables on my car, only option I don't have (wasn't quite available yet when we got it). Maybe that is the issue.

BTW, to attached a phoot, click the paper clip at the top of the editor when writing a post. You can then upload a photo. You can only upload so many photos at a max size though. Easier is to upload them to www.photobucket.com and then take the web address of the photo there and paste it into your response by clicking the yellow picture icon on the top of the editor when posting.

I understand your pain using the bench seat. I also own an Buick Enclave that has a bench seat. The middle seat has a similar issue with space, enough so that we make the oldest child sit in the 3rd row 95% of the time. Occasionally we need to put 3 people on the bench, but we really only use it as a last resort. Car seats are just getting too bulky to put them in 1 row, depending on the age of children and carseats required. We ended up buying 3 new car seats so that they would fit properly in that row when we have no choice.

Choosing a configuration was still are really hard decision to make. Based on my experiences with the Buick, we tried to load our 3 car seats into a bench row at the Ford dealer, and it didn't work very well. I decided to get the bucket seats with the center console. My Ex is the 2nd car in the family, so we could afford to lose one seat.

Time will tell if that is the best decision. So far I'm quite happy with it.

I think the middle seat in the middle row in all but the biggest suvs is now like the back seat in most sports cars... Don't plan on using it for anyone over 12.

Ok, so in my interest of not letting this thread die, I snapped some pics last night at the dealership when I was buying something.

This is my fatter ass, in the middle seat of a 2012 Explorer, with the seatbelt buckled. No shifting over for pics to make it look roomy, just taking them as it is. You be the judge.

Me. 230 lbs, 36" fat ass waist. Not under 12 year old.

SU1HLTIwMTIwMTI0LTAxMDUwLmpwZw.jpg

SU1HLTIwMTIwMTI0LTAxMDQ5LmpwZw.jpg

SU1HLTIwMTIwMTI0LTAxMDQ4LmpwZw.jpg

No, they are not crossed, and I am using the correct buckle. Is it tight? It's do-able. Commuting, hockey practice, whatever? Sure. No problem. Would I want to ride there for 5 hours? Not sure. Is it a class action lawsuit for defective seating? Absolutely not.

Nice pics! Maybe there is something defective about the OP's seats that is causing this?

I would have taken pics myself, but I bought it with the second row buckets option (w/out the console) so that we could have two car seats in the 2nd row and still get two in the back.

Problem with your pictures is that this particular Explorer does not appear to have the inflatable seat belts. The inflatable seat belts result in much larger not so flexible seatbelt receivers.

I agree still agree this is a buyers issue and probably a bad design issue, but no lawsuit material...

Thanks for proving my point

If you look at your left side, the left passenger belt buckle is sticking out (flexible) about 5 inches. On the inflatables, that buckle is 3 inches lower, (no higher than the leather) and at least 2 inches further to your right. In effect, right under your left rear pocket. Also, since it's fixed in that position when you latch the belt in, it sticks straight up. So it's like having your prostate checked by a metal buckle all day long.

Perfect- that makes a whole lot more sense now... The buckles are the issue- I was trying to find an airbag belted Ex at the dealer last night and they didn't have one...

Do you have a pic of the non-moving receiver? Post it up, everything can be in here then...

This thread blows my mind. im laughing, crying, and frustrated all at once.

No, it does appear to be an issue- the receiver for the driver's side belt does not move in the airbag belt trucks. The passenger side receiver for the airbag belt also does not appear to move, or have the ability to "flop" over to create room. So, in effect, if you're sitting in the center seat of an airbag belted Explorer- whether or not there are people on either side of you belted in, you have 9-10" in which to sit in. I can see how that would be an issue. The whole argument has to do with the airbag seatbelt receivers not having the ability to move and sitting above the level of the seat cushion. Since you can't flop it over to make room, and because it sits above seat level, your only choice is to sit either in front of them slouching slightly, or sit on them. The issue as I understand it now isn't really the 60-40-60, it's the idea that the airbag belt receivers don't move, and pretty much eliminate most of the space that you could park your rear on for the center seat if you don't have them.

So, went to the Houston Auto Show today. Found the Explorer with the inflatable seat belts. Sat in said vehicle. Had two seat belt buckles poking me in the arse, one for each cheek.

Conclusion... the inflatable belts render the middle seating position useless for anybody of normal size, except young children maybe. Even with the bench, the car is basically a six passenger vehicle. What a bummer.

We always intended to get the bucket seats in the back, so it is no big deal for us, but I would be irritated to order the bench thinking we could fit 7 people in the car, only to find that seating is limited to 6 adults and a waif!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this exact same problem - my petite 12 year old (70 lbs) cannot comfortably sit in the middle due to the inflexible seat belts.

Back