Power Rear Seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Rear Seats

NJ_Explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer LTD
Being new to the Forum, I don't know if this has been addressed before...
We just purchased a 2012 Explorer Limited. It has the power folding third row seats. The seat appears to be mounted to what I will call a "pivot bar" that extends the full width of the vehicle from the left side to the right, and disappears into the plastic side panels under the rear side-windows. I noticed that the piece connecting the seat to the side wall of the cabin is rusted. At first I thought I had a lemon on my hands, but after looking at 6 or 7 other Explorers with the power-fold option, they are all the same. I also looked at a 2013 model with the same issue. Models I've seen without the power folding seats do not seem to have this problem.
Is this common? Does anyone have a remedy, and is it likely to become a significant problem? We plan on keeping this truck for a loonnnng time!

Being new to the Forum, I don't know if this has been addressed before...
We just purchased a 2012 Explorer Limited. It has the power folding third row seats. The seat appears to be mounted to what I will call a "pivot bar" that extends the full width of the vehicle from the left side to the right, and disappears into the plastic side panels under the rear side-windows. I noticed that the piece connecting the seat to the side wall of the cabin is rusted. At first I thought I had a lemon on my hands, but after looking at 6 or 7 other Explorers with the power-fold option, they are all the same. I also looked at a 2013 model with the same issue. Models I've seen without the power folding seats do not seem to have this problem.
Is this common? Does anyone have a remedy, and is it likely to become a significant problem? We plan on keeping this truck for a loonnnng time!
Welcome to the Forum NJ_Explorer.:wavey:
Did you by any chance check out the wheel well where the spare is kept? The reason I ask is that there have been quite a few Explorers that have encountered water leaks. The most common sees the water trickle down the 3rd row seat belt and into the wheel well. I'm not sure why power folding seats would cause this issue but stranger things have happened.

Peter

peterk9: I will check that out! Thanks for the heads-up!

Back