Drivers Door Lock Quit

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So, I'm having a problem, need some advice. When I bought the Explorer, the drivers door lock didn't work, it would if you tried unlocking it repeatedly by turning it back and forth, but mostly, it acted stripped. I got a new RKE remote about a month afterwards and it's been smooth sailing...until this morning. I hit unlock, nothing, unlocked with the key and hit lock, nothing, tried from the inside, nothing. Other three locks work just fine. I can still do it manually, but that requires locking it with a key every time I get out. Somebody in another thread from several years ago mentioned a spring that could've broke but I figured I'd ask for advice, and if it probably is the spring, a good set of photos/diagram.

Check the wiring, I've had one where the pink/black wire actually broke (burned apart) in the insulation at the door hinge tunnel on its way to the splice. It could be the pink/orange wire too. That's the most likely place, but it could be anywhere in the system, across to the front passenger door switch, all the way back to the remote control module.

Check the wiring, I've had one where the pink/black wire actually broke (burned apart) in the insulation at the door hinge tunnel on its way to the splice. It could be the pink/orange wire too. That's the most likely place, but it could be anywhere in the system, across to the front passenger door switch, all the way back to the remote control module.

Found it finally, it's a bad door lock actuator, traced down all the wiring and finally took the door panel off to check there, and the actuator is getting power, it's just not responding to it

Back